[Suggestion] Clearing Shared iPad Cache as part of the OS update workflow

duxed
New Contributor III

When attempting to clean up enough space to push out OS updates to Shared iPads you do need to have the current user signed out and if you don't have enough space - about 3GB - you do have to free up memory resources. This is done mostly manually on a per device basis.

Interestingly, I've issued 3 remote log off commands this morning and the current user is still signed in on most devices. Unclear whether the device list level command is working properly.

However, to get the ball rolling it would be good to start to clear out cache space and wait for the pending logged out user to be actually signed out and then their cache written back.

The current process doesn't really support this workflow in a single command.

You can sign out the current user, but you have to wait and poll the device state to know when this has happened. My experience so far is that I selected multiple devices in a class and asked them to log off the current user, 2 hours later it is still reporting some users to be still signed in after a refresh.

Once you have determined that the current user is signed out, then you have to issue the clear cache command.  You do have to manually check whether the current user cache has been written back.

It's tedious and time consuming to wait for this process across a class set of devices - remotely.

You need to see the logged in state from the Device list view. 

Ideally you want a smart clear cache process that starts to clear devices for all but the logged in user but then when that logged in user has finally logged out you want the process of clearing the cache for the just-signed-out user.

The idea that you can force the cache write whilst it sounds useful isn't really data safe - you do want to ensure all data is written back before cleaning up.

Ideally, I want to schedule an OS update and all of the "excise" of logging off users and clearing caches should be done automatically as part of the request.

0 REPLIES 0