Using JAMF School in a Hybrid Technology Environment

donschult
New Contributor

JAMF newbie here...

Our K-12 school is looking at a hybrid approach in terms of technology and I'm wondering if somebody could share their experience or thoughts around this.

Current situation
Teachers are all assigned a laptop device (Microsoft OS) and we use Microsoft as our primary platform in the school.

We have a BYOD policy for students and they are opting more and more to bring iPads to the school.  As a result, we considering rolling out JAMF to manage the iPads.  The majority of the apps we use are Microsoft (e.g. Teams, OneNote, etc)

From a management perspective, could the teachers still engage with JAMF features such as lock screen, etc from their laptops or would they need an iPad as well to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

obi-k
Valued Contributor III

Sure they can. They would log into the Jamf GUI from their browser on the laptop and perform the MDM commands in Jamf.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

obi-k
Valued Contributor III

Sure they can. They would log into the Jamf GUI from their browser on the laptop and perform the MDM commands in Jamf.

I prefer that teachers use Jamf Teacher and Apple Teacher mobile apps to interact with Student's devices rather than the Jamf School web interface as they are more teacher friendly and less prone to mistakes. For this, they would need an iPad, iPhone or a Mac. Bear in mind that BYOD has limitations as to how much control teachers have over student's iPads, students also have the option of removing the MDM profile depending on how you have chosen to enroll the devices.

donschult
New Contributor

Thanks for the info.

So in our scenario, we are unlikely to provide teachers with iPads since we have already done a large hardware refresh this year which involved issuing them with Windows laptops.

It's great to hear that we can give them control via a web browser - is there any information online or somewhere you direct me to that shows exactly what can be controlled and of there are limitations of the web browser method vs. using the iPads/apps?