What is the "Identification" in the placeholder used for?

Jack_Kuiper
New Contributor II

It is a mandatory field but does not show up in any device nor is ist usable as a variable.

what is its purpose?

6 REPLIES 6

Fluffy
Contributor III

Identification is supposed to be the model, as far as I know. I would use the same model name that Apple provides (examples below). Testing is recommended, since Jamf's documentation is nonexistent and Apple's naming conventions are inconsistent.

Probably correct:

• iPad (6th generation, Wi-Fi)
  • MacBook Air 11” (Early 2015)
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Examples of inconsistent model names:

• Model according to Apple: iPad (8th generation)
    Model in Jamf School: iPad (8th generation, Wi-Fi Only)
  • Model according to Apple: iPad (9th generation)
    Model in Jamf School: iPad 9th Gen (Wi-Fi)

I wish you luck.

Jack_Kuiper
New Contributor II

You can put in anything at import.

We used to insert the value of the row "DeviceName" in there.

I just wandered, since it is mandatory, what does JAMF NEED this file for, where is it used and can I use ist or reference it through a variable. We use AssetTag and Notes to add extra Information regarding the device and I was looking for a way to use Identification as a variable to set the device name according to policy as we used to do by entering the name a device should have in the AssetTag column and then reference it through "%AssetTag%" value in the DeviceName column. Since we lack of other commenting fields in JAMF School to a device, we -like I stated above- (ab)use AssetTag and Notes for that purpose therefore ruling out the construct we used to have. I was looking for possibilities to gain that back, but the field Identification does not seem to help here. I Just wandered why it is there in the placeholder and why it is mandatory. No one seems to know what it is used for... 

@mainelysteve's post cleared up my misconception, thankfully. It seems it is purely for naming placeholders and they disappear after used, never to be seen or heard of again.

We transitioned from Jamf Pro to Jamf School, so I had used exports from Pro to help make placeholders for School. There was a weird model that Pro exported ( 'iMacBook (M1, 2020)' ), but kept it anyway, as I thought that was what Jamf used for the model name.

All of those placeholders are now used up and in ADE. Knowing now that the identification can be anything, I went back to see if I could find any of those weird ones. If I try to search for that weird model name, I get no results anywhere.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

It's just for identification purposes in the realm of the placeholder. Each device could have a common or unique ID it doesn't have to be anything specific as it doesn't follow the device once it's enrolled. I don't think I've ever had to refer to it, but I suppose someone, somewhere could find a use for it. 

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-school/documentation/Placeholder_Devices.html

It does not need to be unique and the sentence explaining the field in the documentation "Required Used to populate the Identification column in the Placeholder devices table in Jamf School." does not help here...

What is it used for? And more off interest, how can I make use of it?

Not sure any of us can explain exactly what this is for. I'd urge you reach out to support or your account manager. I surmise it's for database storage i.e. it's a table header, etc. The API also does not mention this particular ID outside of the automated device enrollment section.