Why would I need to save the scope in each app for it to be pushed to the device?

RayRaysRevenge
New Contributor

<Disclaimer> New to Jamf here. I am finding after I enroll the devices into my inventory that I need to go into the profile that it is assigned in the scope tab, I have to click the save button for it to install. Save thing with pushing Apps to devices. I have the Apps in the device group but until I go into the App and save it, it just says pending.. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fluffy
Contributor III

It is a very annoying bug in Jamf School that has been around for a while. The recommended method by Jamf support to do this quicker is to make a Device Group with no devices in it and add (or remove if you have to do it again) all Apps and Profiles. This forces a save on everything in your inventory.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Fluffy
Contributor III

It is a very annoying bug in Jamf School that has been around for a while. The recommended method by Jamf support to do this quicker is to make a Device Group with no devices in it and add (or remove if you have to do it again) all Apps and Profiles. This forces a save on everything in your inventory.

RayHerring
New Contributor III

Thanks for that, will have to create this dummy group.

When an update refuses to install due to space, I've been removing the iPad from the group, but it is 50/50 as to whether when I click on the save button to remove it from the group that it actually does the redeferred removal of app.

I then have to go into Managed Apps, open each app individually, click on 'save', then refresh the iPad, then manually delete deferred items.

Ok, I don't think I did it right, because I still had to go in and manually save each app to force the iPad to uninstall the stuff it shouldn't have :(

RayRaysRevenge
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. So if I create a new device group and add the apps and profile in the device group and then set my name criteria, would any devices that I enroll after this is done automatically work? Will I run into problems in the school year when staff want certain apps installed? and then lets say I have to add a device later to that group will the apps automatically install or will i have issues again. Thanks again for the info

You'll want to leave that Device Group empty, as it is just meant to be a dummy group that forces a save on everything.

In my workflow, I add devices through Automated Device Enrollment (formerly DEP) in the Startup Assistant. I don't run into the issue at enrollment, but when I try to change the Device Group of a device this issue happens. Then I have to go through the steps to force a save on everything.

Every time this issue comes up, you will have to add/remove all Apps and Profiles in that dummy Device Group again. If it happens at enrollment for you, that means you may have to do it whenever a device is enrolled.

ok so does this happen because at initial enrollment I have any supervised device go into a "All device" group which has no profile associated to it, just google Apps get installed. Then I rename the device in which case it goes into a few different groups(K-2 students, Kindergarten).  

Yes, that is probably where the issue is coming up. Changing the Device Group is always what causes it for me.

I only have two main Device Groups (staff and student) that are set on enrollment, because I have them set in Automatic Device Enrollment to be enrolled as a member of whichever Device Group. If you know what groups the devices will be going to ahead of time and they won't change in the future, I would recommend doing the same to save yourself some headache.

RayRaysRevenge
New Contributor

ok so I am guessing i will have to remove all my devices and re-enroll them then...Ugh, so I should re-enroll them and technically could just have them come in with no profile or apps. Then rename the devices and which case they will push profiles and apps to them. Then when I add apps to the groups later, the apps will go out fine. Also, if I have a device that needs to switch groups later in the year, I will have to delete and re-enroll that device fresh and assign it. I can't just rename the device and have it automatically change and update. Thanks so much for the communication and advice

I think there may have been some misunderstanding here. You do not need to delete or unenroll anything.

RayRaysRevenge
New Contributor

Ok, I'm happy to hear that. I am hoping to fix this without messing up the profile for Wifi thus meaning i have to touch all the devices again. So do I need to just delete the All devices group and that will allow me to add those "google apps" on each "grade" device group and that will allow the apps to be installed without saving. Since I have no profiles scoped in that "all devices" group it shouldn't mess anything up. 

You do not need to do anything with the Device Groups you already have in place. If your experience in using Jamf School is limited, I would recommend opening a case with Jamf Support. Tell them you are experiencing the "Added on Save Bug" and would like instructions for the workaround. They should send you a PDF file with pictures and everything.

Apologies for the confusion. Posting in a thread can make it difficult to convey everything. 😅

ok no worries. I just don't quite have the knowledge of everything just yet.