Impact of Installing Jamf Device Management Software on Mac Performance

KeerthiEva
New Contributor

Hai community,

I am considering switching from Windows laptops to a Mac provided by my organization. However, they have informed me that the device management software, specifically Jamf, which they intend to install on the Mac, may significantly slow it down. I value Mac's performance and reliability and want to make an informed decision about this matter. Is it true that installing Jamf or any other device management software on a Mac could noticeably affect its speed and overall performance?

Thank You.

5 REPLIES 5

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Hi @KeerthiEva 

Its not true. Jamf does not affect any performance. Most of the enterprise are moving to Mac for the performance.

Thanks.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

First I have ever heard that any enterprise organization, let alone "most" are moving to macOS for the performance. 

Jason33
Contributor III

Jamf itself will have no performance impact; some of the apps they (your org) are installing may.

mdp
Contributor

Agree with above -- we have a few unmanaged MacBooks in our organization, and I don't see any difference in performance between those Macs and the ones that are managed by Jamf.

---
Matthew Prins -- Jamf Scripts @ Github

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

JAMF Nation is more or less for admins, not end users. I would suggest taking up your questions with your IT department.

To directly answer your question. JAMF and all MDM's use Apples MDM framework which is built into the OS regardless on whether the device is enrolled in MDM or not. JAMF itself causes very little if any performance impact. However, the other tools that JAMF is used to install could have a performance impact such as various security clients.

Final thoughts:

• If this device is provided by your employer, it is theirs to manage, and any performance impact is not your problem or your concern.
  • If you are trying to switch to macOS to get away from management on Windows, you are in for a very rude surprise. 
  • If this is a personal device you are providing, tell your employer to choke on a brick if they want you to enroll it into MDM.