Jamf Connect Deployment and Update Settings

danlaw777
Contributor III

Trying to figure out the update process. I'd like to keep my macs up to date with the latest versions, especially when i see the notes identifying an issue I'm having. The problem is, I can't see how to scope an individual machine, or several machines, to test the latest update. Is that even possible?

3 REPLIES 3

MikePh
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

If you’d like to test the latest update, the best way would be to use a policy and scope it out to your test computer. Once you’ve verified you’re okay with it, then you can have the Jamf Connect Update (Settings -> Jamf Apps -> Jamf Connect) set to manual. This way you can specify which version is pushed out without going passed it until you change it after you’ve tested out a new version. 

danlaw777
Contributor III

i know the work around steps, that part is obvious. my question was how to use the auto update portion with a small amount of testers to  test as opposed to making yet another policy when i should be able to use whats already there. 

In the past, I deployed updates as a policy since it silently installs the new files and takes effect when the app is restarted (usually computer restart.) Never had issues that way. I personally wouldn't trust auto updates for Jamf Connect, seeing as how many other issues we have with it.