Add licence for GoodNotes (via JamfNow oder AppleBusinessManager?)

DRK_Witz
New Contributor II

Hello,

I can't find a way to add the new licence for the goodnotes 6 app.

The manual from goodnotes (https://support.goodnotes.com/hc/en-us/articles/7353742669455-Install-Goodnotes-for-School-Business-...) is only for jamf school / simpleMDM or jamf pro.

"To add your license key via MDM software, you will need to create a property list file (.plist file) containing your license key and upload it to the Goodnotes app using your MDM software. [...] Navigate to the section called "Managed Configuration" (this name may vary slightly in different MDM platforms)."

I can't find anything resembling "managed configurations".

I contacted goodnotes already, but maybe some of you have had similar problems and can give me a hint.

Thanks a lot,

Maura

9 REPLIES 9

PE2000
Contributor
<dict>
<key>LicenseKey</key>
<string>AAAAAA-BBBBBB-CCCCCC-DDDDDD-123456-V3</string>
<key>GoodnotesVersion</key>
<integer>6</integer>

</dict>

PE2000
Contributor

contact Good Notes for License key.

DRK_Witz
New Contributor II

That was the first thing I did :-) They sent the manual-link in the mail but I didn't find it out so far. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Jamf Now can deploy custom Configuration Profiles, you likely just need to look at the Jamf Pro documentation and reverse engineer it. Most vendors write documentation for Jamf Pro, not Jamf Now. 

DRK_Witz
New Contributor II

ah, ok, thanks for the hint. I kept looking directly where the apps are, not in the blueprint. 

It's my first time to create a .mobileconfig file. I downloaded the imazing profile editor but I don't find where I can add the code. Which of the "available system domains" is relevant here? 

Or is there another way to create an .mobileconfig?

Thanks a lot :-) 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

.mobileconfig is just a file extension like .docx, iMazing profile editor is just a tool that uses that file extension natively. You can use any text editor to make a .mobileconfig, just make sure to set the text format to .xml or Jamf won't take it. I typically use either Visual Studio Code or xCode for making .mobileconfig, but I like to do thing the hard way.

In the example goodnotes gave you in their instructions has all the info you need for the .mobileconfig. Just make a file with that extension and dump this info in it and update the license key.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>ManagedAppConfigurationVersion</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>LicenseKey</key>
<string>AAAAAA-BBBBBB-CCCCCC-DDDDDD-123456-V3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

If Jamf wont let you upload it, look in to how to convert the text formatting to xml formatting. This is sperate from the file extension.

convert mobileconfig to xml · GitHub

DRK_Witz
New Contributor II

That was my thinking with the text editor, but in the text editor that comes with windows I don't find where I can change to.xml. 

I used Visual Studio Code, saved as xml, then changed ending to mobileconfig - Jamf didn't take it.

in VS Code I saved directly as mobileconfig - Jamf didn't take it. 

I rarely work with VS Code, so I probably miss something - or Jamf just dosnt' like me ;)

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

I learned that the Goodnotes app for Mac did not know how to use the managed setting, to get the data from your config profile. They just built it in for v6.3.16, released about 3 weeks ago. 

chris

aprilcarr
New Contributor II

Hey all,

I just ran across this issue today.

Goodnotes has a fix:

https://support.goodnotes.com/hc/en-us/articles/9484901999631-Deploy-a-License-Key-to-macOS-devices-...

Hope this helps!