10.10.5 resetting user accounts after every restart

cgeorge
New Contributor III

One of our lab iMacs, a late 2013, after every restart, is resetting all the user accounts back to the same settings and files as when they where first created.

For example, my account on this computer was created on September 1. Even though it's September 17th today, after every restart all my files, folders, preferences, etc are back to what they where I left them when I logged out on September 1.

This resetting doesn't seem to affect any files or folders outside of /Users. I have applied software updates (both Apple and from other companies) and those stick. Dates and files in /Library and /System have modification dates between the 1st and today. Like I said, it's only Users.

Repairing permissions doesn't help, either through Disk Utility or through the Terminal.

This machine has never had Deep Freeze or any similar restoration products installed on it.

I've reimaged the machine, and it still exhibits this problem. I imagine the problem is in the OS software, but none of the other machines imaged from the same master have this issue.

Has anyone encountered this? I am at my wit's end trying to repair this problem.

3 REPLIES 3

Look
Valued Contributor III

Check the policy history in the JSS, sounds like a policy is assigned to the device to clean the profiles on restart, it's the only thing I can think of that would carry across after reimaging.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Check the policy history for sure like @Look mentioned. I would also check to see if there are any launch agents/daemons running scripts and/or any login/out hooks.

russeller
Contributor III

My understanding is that diskutil repairPermissions / doesn't touch the Users folder(s) only System files. Have you checked the permissions on the /Users folder and also the permissions on your home folder?
I'm assuming these are bound to AD. Do you using any folder redirection?