10.8.2 Thin Imaging Config Does Not Create Admin User

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I'm running into a problem with 8.6.2 and a 10.8.2 MacBook Air fresh out of the box. I have setup a testing config in Casper Admin that has nothing in it. The only thing the config does is to apply the management account on the Management tab of the config. "Ensure computers..." is checked, as is "Create this account..." and "Hide this account...".

I am using a Thunderbolt cable (MBA booted into Target Disk mode) with Casper Imaging running from an external USB drive (replication point is replicated to the USB drive, Casper Imaging app on the USB Drive) to "image" the machine.

Casper Imaging completes with no problem. I disconnect the machine and restart it. The system comes up to the login screen, but the admin account does not work.

I've tried dropping to the console (>console) and entering the admin account name, but I receive "Login Incorrect" and it just goes right back to the login prompt.

Has anyone seen this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Lhsachs
Contributor II

I'm creating the admin account with the CreateUserPkg that is in InstaDMG. I did have issues attempting to create just with Casper... This works well.
One benefit is that I install the corporate logo in as the admin's logo...

View solution in original post

macjustice
New Contributor II

I've seen the same issue, the only way we found around it was to remove the .applesetupcomplete file using SUM.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Lhsachs
Contributor II

I'm creating the admin account with the CreateUserPkg that is in InstaDMG. I did have issues attempting to create just with Casper... This works well.
One benefit is that I install the corporate logo in as the admin's logo...

macjustice
New Contributor II

I've seen the same issue, the only way we found around it was to remove the .applesetupcomplete file using SUM.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Okay, thanks for responding. I will put in a bug report with support tomorrow.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've been working with JAMF on this, and they have confirmed it to be a defect. Defect ID D-003234.

mfennelly
New Contributor III

I'm so glad to find this post. I've been banging my head against this all day.

MacJustice, can you elaborate on your solution? I don't understand what you meant when you wrote, ".applesetupcomplete file using SUM." What is SUM? I'm not getting the acronym...

themacallan
New Contributor III

SUM = single user mode.

adiSean
New Contributor III

Just adding to an already solved post. :) I haven't had any problems with Casper creating the admin account (set in the configuration) when thin imaging an 10.8.2 Mac.

The only difference in what macjustice has compared to mine is the first two lines in my setup script (at reboot) are:
sudo touch /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone
sudo rm /private/var/db/.AppleCustomMac