10.8 and Configuration Management Hidden User Setting Issue

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

I've been testing 8.6 today and one issue I am seeing is that in one of my deployment configurations for 10.8 in the management tab where you can specify a hidden local admin user, I have the option selected to hide from the OS X login window but it is showing up at the login window on any imaged 10.8 machines. My 10.7 configuration that is configured exactly the same but with a 10.7 image as the base OS does not have this problem. Possible bug?

3 REPLIES 3

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I had this issue with Casper 8.5x as well, the work around jamf gave me was to use the hide admin user as a script / policy. Disappointed to hear it's still not fixed.

brent_buckner
New Contributor

How can we do this as a script / policy? I seem to be struggling today (rainy weather).

**Edit

Nevermind, added the following lines to my postboot script:

$ defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList -array-add username

$ defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow Hide500Users -bool YES

source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5017?viewlocale=en_US

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@brent.buckner Good thread. We're noticing our hidden admin account showing up too. Not sure when it broke, but fixed with both defaults commands. Many thanks.

[EDIT] Well, I tested this, and it didn't work...script is set to 755, run At Reboot and tested with $1 and without $1. No luck, JSS is at 8.62 and image is 10.7.5.

#!/bin/sh

$1/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow Hide500Users -bool YES
$1/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUserList -array-add jlennon

exit 0

[EDIT#2] Also the commands work fine when invoked manually. So Casper isn't hiding the account, nor is it invoking the above script at first reboot. I guess I'll set up a policy to run at reboot that'll hide <500 accounts for now until this issue is resolved. :)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com