10.8 and MCX issues

richmac
New Contributor III

I have installed a machine with 10.8 and realised that the legacy MCX settings for pre 10.7 have been applied to this machine. I have setup profiles for the 10.7 and 10.8 clients and they appear to be working fine. My issue is that I cannot seem to remove legacy MCX settings from this Mac. Despite removing all 10.7 and 10.8 machines from the groups assigned to the old MCX and manually deleting the "Managed Preferences" and "~/Preferences" folders the settings continue to appear at each login. I have removed the jamf framework and tried to clear mcx cache using 10.6 dscl command from an apple white paper but to no avail.

The old MCX settings that applied to System Pref panes appear to have rendered these panes unusable.

Is anyone else having these issues or figured how to resolve them?

4 REPLIES 4

talkingmoose

This is my mojo for when MCX isn't working correctly on a machine:

Run in Terminal:

sudo rm -R /Library/Preferences/Managed Preferences/*
sudo dscl . -delete /Computers
dscl . -list Computers | grep -v "^localhost$" | while read computer_name ; do sudo dscl . -delete Computers/"$computer_name" ; done
sudo jamf manage
sudo jamf mcx

Restart the computer to pull new MCX settings from the JSS.

Note that the second and third lines aren't necessarily used together but I haven't found running them both to cause any problems. I haven't tested to see if line 3 applies to 10.7 or 10.8. Reference

Also, the jamf manage command doesn't really apply to MCX but I run it to make sure the machine is phoning home properly.

If those commands don't work then I repeat them, delete the contents of this directory and restart:

/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/computers/

richmac
New Contributor III

Thanks, the terminal commands have removed the legacy MCX from the machine. Only problem is im still not able to open the actual pref panes. Think ill have to reinstall and let this one go to testing as I've tried many fixes and nothing appears to be bringing them back.

genes
New Contributor II

This is what worked for me:
sudo dscl . -delete /Users/username dsAttrTypeStandard:MCXSettings

timcarnegie
New Contributor

Hi,
is there a way to use the delet users for multiple users?
reason i would like to run this on computers that have more than 10 users per machine and wandering if there is a command that will erase all users on a local machine
like above but with a minor switch for all users
sudo dscl . -delete /Users/%username% dsAttrTypeStandard:MCXSettings

Thanks
Tim C