10.8 DHCP Server

bthomason
New Contributor II

Having an issue with a 10.8 Mini Server running DHCP. I have 4 VLAN's and on my wireless one I get an IP address conflict from time to time. Talked to Apple about this and they bascially told me that my network was too complex, that they only can support a 1 Network set up. What do you all use for DHCP? I don't want to go the MS route.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

justinrummel
Contributor III

Without knowing the full details of your network, what about creating virtual interfaces? This way:

DHCP Scope (192.168.11.x/24) on vEth1 DHCP Scope (192.168.12.x/24) on vEth2 DHCP Scope (192.168.13.x/24) on vEth3 DHCP Scope (192.168.14.x/24) on vEth4

Never tried it, just an idea.

jesmith
New Contributor II

Hi,
We are running several different VLANs on our 10.8 Mac Mini servers. The only issue that we have encountered with the setup is that the server becomes unresponsive to DHCP requests. I have not run into the IP address conflicts issue though. Have you double checked all of the DHCP settings to make sure that there was not a config issue?

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Are you using Layer 3 switches? (e.g. Cisco 3750)
If it's not a very large network, you can do interVLAN routing and DHCP on a Cisco layer 3 switch itself without compromising the performance.

bthomason
New Contributor II

We are using HP Procurve Switches. I've got 3 Scopes. Wired, Wireless, Guest Wireless.

I have a DHCP helper in the Core Switch pointing back to the DHCP server. I see the conflict in the DHCP but can't remove the client. https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7162165_70148471_940134