10.9.5 Causing login problems for anyone else?

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

We still use the golden triangle with AD for authentication and OD for preferences. The accounts are cached mobile accounts. We've updated 6 machines from 10.9.4/10.9.3, etc to 10.9.5 and 5 of them don't allow any accounts to login after the update, even local non directory accounts. We're hosting the software update service on x serves but the problem has also occurred when pulling the update from Apple and not our servers.

Anybody else seen anything similar or have any good suggestions?

35 REPLIES 35

SGill
Contributor III

We are not seeing that issue here with 10.9.5 upgrades (with +/- 110 of them). We do only use AD, however, so maybe you are seeing a golden triangle issue?

Can you rebind to resolve?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

PeteToscano
New Contributor II

Andrew, we are also seeing this problem. If we disconnect from the network (or otherwise make the OS X box unable to speak with AD), we can log in, but then we see opendirectoryd start hogging all the CPU cycles that it can. This is not uniform across all of our OS X laptops, though. We have some that work fine on 10.9.5 and bound to AD, while others don't.

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

Thanks for the thread... looks like the same problem.

As far as rebinding... I had to unplug the machine from the network to login locally and then rebind. I still had the same problems. Sounds like somebody else suggested removing from AD, trashing all AD prefs and rebinding.

SGill
Contributor III

Andrew-- are you seeing this issue on desktops?

I started to wonder from PeteToscano's post whether this might be a MacBook Pro issue?

We are almost all iMac desktop here where I am not seeing the issue…(yet that is!)

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

Yep - various iMac models.

thanzig
New Contributor II

Had login problems for one user the day he updated to 10.9.5. Could not login with a cached network account or local admin account. Safe boot, disk warrior, unbind, re-bind, flush caches, etc. nothing let me in. Finally net booted and did a clean netinstall of the OS and we got in. He had a lot of shareware and junk apps so I'm chalking it up to that. No issues with other users.

PeteToscano
New Contributor II
I started to wonder from PeteToscano's post whether this might be a MacBook Pro issue?

We're seeing this on one MBP, one MBA, and two Minis so far.

justinworkman
Contributor

I remember seeing a similar issue with updates to 10.7 way back. I used to go into dscl from terminal and delete the local user and then I'd be able to log in with their network credentials.

SGill
Contributor III

I was having to do the dscl deletion thing, too, when we went from 10.9.0 to 10.9.1. I chalked it up to changes Apple might have been making with iCloud that were then in turn causing trouble with our AD directory records. As soon as the accounts were recreated clean in dscl, everything ran fine.

We are seeing good luck with the delta updater 10.9.5, but I haven't tested/needed the combo updater (maybe there's an issue there?) --generally the combos get better results but maybe not this time.

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

@justinworkman and @Gillaspy, this happens for accounts that don't exist on the machine as well, so I can't delete them via dscl.

tls2t
New Contributor II

Out of curiosity, anyone know of or has come up with a way to block/disable this particular update until things can be sorted out?

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

@barret55, are you using an internal SUS server (NetSUS or Apple Software Update)? I haven't enabled the update on our internal software update servers, which all clients are pointed to via Jamf, so no clients can get it at this point.

tls2t
New Contributor II

@andrew_stenehjem I'm using Apple's SUS.

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

@barret55, have you disabled this update then by unchecking it or manually disabling in the plist file? I've left the 10.8.5 update enabled and manually disabled 10.9.5 entries in the /etc/swupd/com.apple.server.swupdate.plist file for now.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Probably unrelated, but I updated to 10.9.5 last week and noticed this morning that the system's Active Directory keychain entry (on the System keychain) had vanished. I had to rebind to AD.

PeteToscano
New Contributor II
Probably unrelated, but I updated to 10.9.5 last week and noticed this morning that the system's Active Directory keychain entry (on the System keychain) had vanished. I had to rebind to AD.

I tried unbinding one of our troubled servers, then rebinding. No luck. Still messed up. :(

CGundersen
Contributor III

No issues here yet, but most clients haven't started upgrading yet. I've updated my work machines w/out issue and AD/cached mobile accounts/802.1x @ login still seems to be OK. We aren't using OD at all. I'll monitor and update if we start having issues.

pchang
New Contributor

We noticed some issues on our end. We are using the golden triangle. We weren't pointing our clients to our internal SUS, but have done so now until this is resolved. From our testing standpoint, when I removed our bind to OD, we are able to login. Otherwise it fails.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Hi Andrew,

We use AD for Authentication/binding. Like you we use cached mobile accounts. Casper is used for setting everything else. Yesterday I installed 10.9.5 (not the combo) and rebooted to find I couldn't log in either. I couldn't log in with domain or local accounts and boot times were really long ~10 minutes and it took a long time to time out on the logon attempts. I was able to ping the machine but not connect via SSH (not even a prompt). Not having seen this I spent the rest of the day checking disk and memory and backing up the disk when I found no issues there.

Today I found your thread and also the link posted by Ben Toms above (https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/macenterprise/IPTSGXmVtkw). What has worked for me is as follows:
1) Remove the network cable and then log in as the local admin
2) Unbind (it doesn't care that it isn't on the network)
3) Restart with network cable connected
4) log in as local admin
5) Rebind - In the Search Policy > Directory Domains (of the binding), remove "/Active Directory/yourdomain" from the list which should look like this: /Local/Default /Active Directory/yourdomain /Active Directory/yourdomain/All Domains

(sorry - can't remember if that was the right order)

Now it should just display /Local/Default /Active Directory/yourdomain/All Domains

6) Restart - local and domain accounts (new and existing should now work)

Notes:
a) This machine was an upgrade from 10.7.5 to 10.9.4 and then yesterday to 10.9.5
b) The machine had originally had that extra Search Domain (/Active Directory/yourdomain) added because on 10.7 we had been getting a message "network accounts are not available" after binding and rebooting to the logon prompt.
c) Looking at a clean build for another newer domain, "/Active Directory/yourdomain" is not available, and now that I am on 10.9.5 it is not available as something I can add back to this machine even if I wanted to.

** Looking back on this. It may be that you don't even have to unbind - just remove Search Domain (/Active Directory/yourdomain)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

David

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

Hi David,

Thanks for the detailed response. Yesterday I found exactly what you found and removing the /Active Directory/yourdomain entry does allow login to work. It still appears to take longer than it should to login. I have a support ticket open with Apple and they have forwarded this on to engineering. At this point, we won't be enabling the 10.9.5 update.

Thanks again,

Andrew

denmoff
Contributor III

I have not noticed any issues logging in with my AD user account after upgrading to 10.9.5. But I'm still hesitant to allow my clients to upgrade, so i've made it unavailable in our local SUS. My search domain only includedes /Local/Default and /Active Directory/mydomain/All Domains

I'm hoping the source of this issue is found before 10.9.6 is released.

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

@denmoff "I'm hoping the source of this issue is found before 10.9.6 is released."

I agree... if there is a 10.9.6

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

It would take an egregious bug for there to be a 10.9.6. 10.9.5v1.1 or some post-10.9.5 patch might be options...

nessts
Valued Contributor II

have you tried
dsconfigad -alldomains disable

EliasG
Contributor

it happened to one of our machines yesterday and I was going crazy with it!! In order for me to log into the machine locally I had to do a disk repair in Utilities. Finally I got in and pretty much did this as well

) Remove the network cable and then log in as the local admin
2) Unbind (it doesn't care that it isn't on the network)
3) Restart with network cable connected
4) log in as local admin
5) Rebind
- In the Search Policy > Directory Domains (of the binding), remove /Active Directory/yourdomain

Now it should just display
/Local/Default
/Active Directory/yourdomain/All Domains

6) Restart - local and domain accounts (new and existing should now work)

denmoff
Contributor III

@EliasG

Now it should just display
/Local/Default

What did it say beforehand?

justinmeader
New Contributor

I was receiving the CPU usage issue which is what seemed to be causing the login issues. The user account would hang and just spin, I assume because of this issue with the opendirectoryd process. Disconnecting from the network seemed to allow the login, and then reconnecting would cause that process to spin up CPU usage. When I logged into a local admin account there was no issue, so I was able to remove the computer from the domain that way. Either way, I could've forcibly removed it, the larger issue is that I had to restore the machine from a Time Machine backup in order to get us back to where we needed to be. If this has been escalated to Apple there probably isn't a need for me to do the same, but does anyone have an update?

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

@justinmeader][/url I've submitted it to Apple and they've forwarded to engineering... but I think the more people that submit the more likely they are to address it. If they only get a few submissions they may respond as they have for some of our other big ticket items... fix it in 10.10 and suggest that we move the machines to Yosemite. Not a good solution for thousands of machines that can't run essential software if they're at 10.10.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Dennis - have modified my post to show what I remember as the 3 lines that were there.

Andrew - since making the change I don't notice a significant difference in logon time but maybe I'm just grateful to log in at all :)

Regards,

David

CGundersen
Contributor III

We are just a single domain/forest. I'm using Casper for the AD bind/FV2 configs using Self Service. For this round of AD integration (anybody remember the 10.5.0 release and AD?), I'm simply ticking "Allow authentication from any domain in the forest" and I have the following Search Policy/Directory Domain listing:

/Local/Default

No issues here yet on a small number of machines running 10.9.5. We aren't using a Golden Triangle config (or was it Cylinder of Destiny) ... just a large single AD domain. Monitoring with interest ...

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

Here's the response that I got from Apple:

It looks like removing the item from the search is the correct solution. The following command can be used to remove it via ARD or other method: dscl /Search -delete / CSPSearchPath "/Active Directory/BSD"

Makes it sound like they're not planning on addressing it.

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

So they released this kb and probably won't do anything else. Looks like I might need to run this on all of our machines before they move up to 10.9.5... who knows, may clear up some other issues that we have related to AD:

dscl /Search -delete / CSPSearchPath "/Active Directory/yourdomainname"

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201149

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

We ran into the issue as well and we rewrote our AD Bind script to change it from "yourdomainname" to "all domains". This resolved the issue that we were seeing.

Make sure that if you script it and scope it at your machines, that you recommend they be off network if possible. If they are on network, scope it for startup and it will take about 10 minutes before it can connect to the JSS and run the script, but it will resolve the issue.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Started a new job with old Mavericks Macs. Updated to 10.9.5 and hit this problem. I tried all the normal tricks, and almost re-imaged the whole Mac. My biggest mistake was Googling the problem when I should have came to JAMF Nation first.

The combination of @EliasG & @andrew_stenehjem solution fixed it. I followed the steps in the link below and it worked right way.

Thanks for the old post guys.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201149