13.4.1 upgrade fails

rkelegha1
New Contributor II

Hi All,

Has anybody have reports of 13.4.1 upgrade fail when trying to upgrade via software upgrade?

We have reports from users when it tries to begin the download and fails ...

I have seen Apple Dev bug - Can't upgrade to Ventura 13.4.1 | Apple Developer Forums ..

Rk

8 REPLIES 8

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@rkelegha1 If you have a deferral in place for minor updates you may be running into the problem where Macs are seeing the special build of the 13.4.1 update that's only for the mid-2023 Macs. Remove the deferral and they should get the correct update.

rkelegha1
New Contributor II

Thanks @sdagley  .. We did have a deferral in place for 13.4.0 upgrade but we are no doing anything for 13.4.1 .. The mac that are seeing the issues are 14" M1 2021

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

On the chance you aren't doing the same we always recommend users restart immediately prior to attempting a macOS update because our experience has been the longer it's been since a restart the less likely it is the update will be successful.

D_Evans
New Contributor

You might want to consider Superman: https://github.com/Macjutsu/super/wiki

BradBP
New Contributor

Getting the same issue with Superman enabled too

JDaher
Contributor

In general, we have had a lot of problems with OS upgrades via Jamf. In short, they're unreliable. They work for a number of machines but not all. We have tried to do it via Software Upgrade, but the most consistent way for us has been to create a group with the machines we want to target. Then we use the Action function > Send Remote Commands > Update OS version. It gives you the option to specify a version of the OS, as well as whether or not you want the update package to just download to the endpoint, or download & install. If your users are anything like ours I recommend the latter, with plenty of forewarning. 

Also, I'm not sure if this method works for machines that have been manually enrolled. 

rkelegha1
New Contributor II

Thanks for coming back to me ! I think I have a game plan now ...

One Last questions -- I cant remember but... If there a terminal command or a way that I can just download the 13.4.1 patch on a system? Instead of caching the full installer? .. 

rk

JDaher
Contributor

I'm not sure you can grab a patch, I don't think macOS works that way. This is the command to grab the full installer for that version:

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 13.4.1 
Or you can just run it like this to get whatever the latest version is:
sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer
It downloads to /Applications