9.31 config profile issues?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

It seems that my config profiles are all messed up after upgrading to 9.31. When I click on what used to be the restrictions for what was available in the system preferences panes, now displays machine restrictions (smart groups, buildings, etc) but no actual preferences listing what's enabled or disabled.

Same with my app store updates only profile...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

philwillchen
New Contributor III

They added a third party preference panes so you should take whatever backup you had and copy/paste to the area under:

<ThirdPartyEnabledPreferencePanes>

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Are you just talking about Mac OS X config profiles or iOS too? What JSS version did you upgrade from? I upgraded my test instance and existing config profiles appear to be intact.

philwillchen
New Contributor III

They added a third party preference panes so you should take whatever backup you had and copy/paste to the area under:

<ThirdPartyEnabledPreferencePanes>

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@cbrewer I upgraded from 9.3 - we don't use Casper to manage iOS, just Macs.

@philwillchen - i wonder if that's the issue, I just took my old one and over-wrote the original per the KB article that was posted a while ago.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I reload 9.31 and then modified the osxrestrictions file to add in my custom stuff. seems to work now! Thank you @philwillchen!

pblake
Contributor III

@philwillchen - can you explain what happened. I'm upgrading tomorrow and I'm worried about my profiles. I use profiles for drive mappings. What exactly happened and how did you fix it?

pblake
Contributor III

@jwojda - can you explain what happened. I'm upgrading tomorrow and I'm worried about my profiles. I use profiles for drive mappings. What exactly happened and how did you fix it?

scottb
Honored Contributor

@pblake: I second that as we are upgrading from 8.73 to 9.31 in two weeks. I don't really grasp what went on here...

pblake
Contributor III

I am supposed to upgrade today, and this concerns me. I on't use any custom or third party settings in my configuration profiles, so I hope that means I am good. Waiting to hear.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

okay, so with configuration profiles, you can restrict the system preference options (forinstance, I don't want users in Sharing, or Users & Groups, etc). So in the config profile you can select what the users can and cannot access. Now, there are 3rd party apps that install into system preferences (wacom tablets, Java, WinShortcutter, etc) that I want to grant access to. So there's a file that you can modify and enter those into. Apparently with 9.31 they changed the formatting of the file you modify to add those third party restrictions to, so you can no-longer just overwrite the file with the one you were using, you need to go in and modify the file and copy/paste the changes from your old profile to your new one.

pblake
Contributor III

@jwojda - SO if I am not using any of those setting, I shouldn't worry?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

correct

scottb
Honored Contributor

Thank you @jwojda. We have profiles, but nothing involving the additional Pref Panes at the bottom. Appreciate the clarification. Were there any other hazards we should be aware of that you found? Did you upgrade from an 8.x or 9.x setup?

rcorbin
Contributor II

How are you finding 9.31 ? It's working out well for you ? We are running 9.25. Didn't take the 9.3 plunge right away as there seemed to be a few issues. Thinking of going to 9.31 but I do have a major 900 machine deployment to do right now. I'm almost thinking of holding off till after that, but I think 9.31 might be better with 10.9.2 and has other fixes as well.

pblake
Contributor III

@rcorbin - I am liking it. There was a bug in 9.3 where if you assigned two assets to the same user, some of the other fields like department might get removed. That is fixed in 9.3.1. They also added in a "History" button so comments can be made about groups or configuration profiles. In all I like the user portion, and I like being able to easily see which of my users have more than one machine.