Add Chrome to the Dock

amorse
New Contributor II

I'm sure I'm missing something easy but I cannot find a way to add non-apple apps to the dock via Jamf. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sshort
Valued Contributor

Check out ProfileCreator to make a dock profile with 3rd party apps. You'll want to sign the profile before uploading to Jamf, as well.

e812bb6632db41a5beaa0d08b2d2d22c

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

bvondeylen
Contributor II

I will assume you mean macOS and not iOS, correct?

sshort
Valued Contributor

Check out ProfileCreator to make a dock profile with 3rd party apps. You'll want to sign the profile before uploading to Jamf, as well.

e812bb6632db41a5beaa0d08b2d2d22c

amorse
New Contributor II

Yep on MacOS,

Great I'll try that profile maker. Thanks all!

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Settings -> Computer Management -> Dock Items -> +NEW -> Add display name and path to app (e.g. file://Macintosh HD/Applications/Google Chrome.app)

Now make a policy set to run at login and ongoing. Add Dock items on the left side and Add Chrome -> Add to Beginning (or end) of Dock.

amorse
New Contributor II

Awesome I'll give that a try ty!

thomH
New Contributor III

@sshort Can you also remove unwanted icons with a profile?

Thanks

bwiessner
Contributor II

I use dockutil - https://github.com/kcrawford/dockutil - makes it super easy to manage all things dock

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/dockutil --remove all --no-restart --allhomes

sleep 2

/usr/local/bin/dockutil --add "/Applications/System Preferences.app" --allhomes
/usr/local/bin/dockutil --add "/Applications/Launchpad.app" --allhomes
/usr/local/bin/dockutil --add "/Applications/Google Chrome.app" --allhomes
/usr/local/bin/dockutil --add "/Applications/Slack.app" --allhomes
/usr/local/bin/dockutil --add "/Applications/Self Service.app" --allhomes

sleep 2

killall Dock

sleep 2

mradams
Contributor

I manage my staff and lab macs separately by using Configuration profiles. Managing the Dock through config profile allows me to customize each lab and add any .app I wan along with removing all but what I want displayed, for staff I Merge with users dock to allow them to add/remove their own apps.

sshort
Valued Contributor

@piagetblix Yes, the default behavior is to replace the existing dock with the items you define in your profile. However, you can also select the "merge with user's dock" option to keep the existing dock items, and just add what you have in your profile.

As long as "prevent modifying items in dock" is not enabled, the user is free to adjust the dock.

marklamont
Contributor III

I would second using profile creator. You can make a dock profile that adds to the existing and use the export plist option, long click on the export button, then you can just add that as a custom setting in a profile so no need to sign it. Advantage is you can still see the settings in the profile because when they are signed you can't.

e55cc7c9affe4b8e9d2592c5cf596b21

amorse
New Contributor II

Ok awesome, @marklamont so you don't need to sign it? I haven't had one work yet and thought that was my issue.

marklamont
Contributor III

no need to sign, just make sure you export plist and add as custom.
d47e5b5470fa4d50a47765870cfdcf07

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@sshort It seems even if I have "prevent modifying items in dock" unchecked it won't allow me to remove apps from the dock that are specified in the profile. I supposed you have to check the merge button to allow things to be deleted?
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

amorse
New Contributor II

@marklamont alright that was crazy helpful. Can you have more than one plist per Config Profile? I pushed it to a test group yesterday and the profiles seem to be failing when they attempt to apply to the macs.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

@amorse I just tested with both a dock and a Desktop picture plist to the custom section of one profile and it seems to work pretty well.
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

dnelson2813
Contributor

This whole thread just alleviated my frustration. I finally have a working dock for this lab configuration I'm putting together. Thanks.

jaellington
New Contributor III

This may seem like a silly question, but how do I export the profile from Profile Creator as a .plist?

jaellington
New Contributor III

NVM, turns out you can find answers when you read things carefully... :p

VintageMacGuy
Contributor II

Looks like Big Sur broke Profile Creator?

Crashes out as soon as I launch it.