Add Printers on Jamf Admin not working on High Sierra?

Eigger
Contributor III

Just wanted to reach out if anybody is experiencing Add Printers not working on Jamf Admin running on macOS 10.13.4? I tried installing the Jamf Admin on macOS 10.12 and Add Printers is working over there. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Eigger
Contributor III

This has been resolved by Jamf Support

"Thanks for testing that! We might be hitting a certain product issue on our side. Just one question, are the computers we are using enrolled in the JSS? We have an issue out there where high sierra machines will not work with Jamf Admin if they are not enrolled. If this is the case can we try the little workflow below:"

Either enroll the device in Jamf Pro, or create an empty com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist.

-Close Jamf Admin -Open Terminal and run: sudo touch /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist -Open Jamf Admin, and add a Printer

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Eigger
Contributor III

This has been resolved by Jamf Support

"Thanks for testing that! We might be hitting a certain product issue on our side. Just one question, are the computers we are using enrolled in the JSS? We have an issue out there where high sierra machines will not work with Jamf Admin if they are not enrolled. If this is the case can we try the little workflow below:"

Either enroll the device in Jamf Pro, or create an empty com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist.

-Close Jamf Admin -Open Terminal and run: sudo touch /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist -Open Jamf Admin, and add a Printer

claudiogardini
Contributor

Awesome! Thanks for posting the Solution.

mikemeaney
New Contributor

On a 10.13.3 Mac here that is enrolled. When I click the "Add printer" button in JAMF admin it doesn't do anything. Once in awhile the printer dropdown shows up but goes away a soon as it drops all the way down.

Using JAMF 10.3.1

plmccoy1
New Contributor

Worked for me! Thank you for the information!!

rfreeborn
New Contributor III

The create plist solution resolved issue for me also.

asegura
Contributor

I run into the same issue and opened a ticket with support and they advise the same solution on creating the plist and that resolved my issue.

oklair
New Contributor III

Simple. Efficient. Thanks!

EdenJAMFAdmin
New Contributor

Same issue here, but was happening on 10.11 and continued after upgrade to 10.13. The machine was not a part of JAMF. Creating the plist file worked.

francksartori
New Contributor III

Thanks for the solution ! Still true with Jamf Admin Version 10.9.0-t1544463445 on macOS 10.14.3.

achristoforatos
Contributor II

Solution worked on Mojave as well! Thank you @Eigger

RobbieReichard
New Contributor III

I am having the same issue but none of the options are working. When I try to add a printer to Jamf Admin I get a list of shared printers from Bonjour but not the local one I have installed and working. I have added printers before without issue. Is this some known issue with Mojave and 10.7.1?

Sichas
Contributor

@RobbieReichard Mojave support was added with 10.8 so you might want to start there.

RobbieReichard
New Contributor III

@iMatthewCM, I just pulled this info from the Jamf Resource guide for 10.7.1.
"Jamf Pro 10.7.1 provides compatibility with macOS Mojave 10.14."

Sichas
Contributor

Ah, you're on the hot fix, apologies. Does the computer you're running Admin on have the Jamf Binary?

RobbieReichard
New Contributor III

Yes, it had the Jamf Binary installed. I even removed the binary and the framework and reinstalled it. Still had the same issue. I had to go to a High Sierra machine and add the printer that way.

ccamero86
New Contributor

Had same issue on OS Catalina, ran the plist command and I am now able to add printers.

jonn1e
Contributor

Thanks for the hint! :) It works with Jamf Admin 10.27.

rhooper
Contributor III

I know this is an old post. On a system using Big Sur I found that "Add Printers" in Admin opens the popup window but does not populate some printers. A workaround for us was to add the printer by IP, use the same driver(s), then rename it in the system Preferences to some friendly name.
Then go back to Admin>Add Printers> it then locates the printer of need.
Also noted: that the device needs to be in the MDM for this feature to operate correctly. even using the sudo touch /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist did not work.
Running JAMF PRO 10.33.0

chrisdaggett
Contributor II

Same problem, and same solution for Big Sur and JAMF 10.36.1