Adding application dock item appears with ?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I have a self service policy that installs an application. I

added this application to the dock items with JAMF admin.

I configured the policy, added the dock item to appear at the end of the dock.
when the policy installs the application and adds the dock item, the dock item has a question mark instead of the application icon, and when clicked it obviously doesn't work to run the application. I see the application under /Applications and its correct.

User will have to add it to the dock themselves.

Has anyone had this issue? or know how I can resolve it? I would rather have it added to the dock when the policy runs instead of having the user deal with it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@larry_barrett looks like instead of specifically naming the hard drive you can use localhost instead.

file://localhost/Applications/PDFelement.app now works, the application icon shows up in the Dock

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

danny_hanes
Contributor

We will need a few more details. Can you share some screenshots of the policy / dock paths you are trying to set? Also take a look at Docutil. It is my go-to application for managing the dock on macOS - https://github.com/kcrawford/dockutil

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@danny_hanes i don't like dock util. Seems to lock users from manipulating their own dock and I don't want to do that.

file:///applications/wondershare%20pdfelement.app/

No different than any other dock items i see in the list, so i can't see how the path can be the problem

danny_hanes
Contributor

@tcandela So docutil does not lock their dock unless you want it to. We simply use it to add and remove dock icons whenever we install an application.

That being said, I just installed the application on my mac and it looks like the path should be file:///Applications/PDFelement.app/

Edit: If you right click on the application and expand "name and extension" you can see the filename. I know it says "Wondershare PDFelement" in the Applications folder, but that's not actually the file name.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@danny_hanes yep, i did all that earlier just like you did with righ click to find the information, and when the policy installed the dock item it gave an error something like no such application. I have both those dock items added.

I will try it again.

danny_hanes
Contributor

@tcandela Also, have you tried adding the dock icon using Jamf Admin?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@danny_hanes yes, i added the dock icon via JAMF admin. It gave that path to the icon

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Another thing to keep in mind when you add something to the dock is you should reset the dock at the same time. sleep 5 : killall dock under files and processes.

When in doubt on the correct path/naming, drag the icon into an open terminal window for the full output path. I'm on prem, so my workflow may be slightly different.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@tcandela Is file:///applications/wondershare%20pdfelement.app/ actually what you have for the path in your Dock item? If so it's not going to work because Mac paths are case sensitive and you can't use applications (plus I suspect the application isn't named in all lower case)

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@sdagley i just wrote the path in my response in lowercase but its correct in the JAMF dock icons.

@larry_barrett even though the dock item looks to get added before 'files and processes' would run, you think it would make a difference?
sleep 5 : killall dock

remus
New Contributor III

@tcandela We use Ryan Ball's DockBuilder. Works amazing!
Allows Dock manipulation after installation/deployment.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

I downloaded, installed and tested this. I'm OnPrem on Catalina 10.15.6

I'm just going to share screenshots for brevity sake.

First, setup in Settings -> Computer Management -> Dock items (note, I could not make it work without the full path including the harddrive name, your harddrive name may be different).
7051126b00f849a5a44bfe19dd7499e2

Next, make a policy. You should have General (to set frequency), Dock Items (to add the dock item itself) and Files and processes (to sleep and kill the dock)

General tab: 4d88ec3761764615b48f1087368fc428

Dock Items tab:
5416777a8b7d4be4a1479feeb72c97dd

And finally the Files and Processes tab:
a669542e0c534f16ad7f0771b5977668

Recurring check in isn't ideal. The way I'd finalize this is to make a Smartgroup with the Criteria, Application title IS PDFelement.app. Then scope the policy to the Smartgroup. This should avoid the ? of death.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@larry_barrett I added the execute command to the policy and will test it out. I usually have the drive named Macintosh SSD, some might still be Macintosh HD. I'll test again without adding the drive to the dock item path, but with the execute command in place with sleep 5; killall Dock

isn't it supposed to be a capital D for Dock?

Strange how the application is listed on the mac as /Applications/Wondershare PDFelement.app/
but in the computers JAMF information for applications its /Applications/PDFelement.app (ive noticed this before creating this discussion and tried the dock item both ways)

This is a Self Service policy that i have configured for the installation of PDFelement

ed0ec0d2241a430986e697c280ae6e66

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

if you're in terminal I think it has to be Dock, but the Jamf command doesn't care.

Since I'm on Prem my workflow is going to be slightly different, but I think you're close. Sometimes on that file path its a trial and error type of deal. You can do it!

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@larry_barrett the policy works great installing the application, it's just the stupid applications dock item icon.

i tested from terminal with Dock and it worked, while dock (lowercase) said no matching processes. If it doesn't matter with jamf i'll just leave it D

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@larry_barrett i edited the dock entry to what you mentioned

from file:///Applications/Wondershare%20PDFelement.app/
to
file:///Macintosh SSD/Applications/PDFelement.app

i'll let you know how it goes

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@larry_barrett do you think that instead of using the drives name, you can use what i put below? I'm testing it out. I see some dock items here that have file://localhost/*

file://localhost/Applications/PDFelement.app

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Here's a full list of my dock items:

83f0c03c77ae400aab3231e73afd1eb7

ed264b5fbed74aa684bed0cc1023813f

Wish I could be of more help.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@larry_barrett looks like instead of specifically naming the hard drive you can use localhost instead.

file://localhost/Applications/PDFelement.app now works, the application icon shows up in the Dock

michaelhusar
Contributor II

Maybe that helps:
Under Big Sur this works (at the moment)
file:///System/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/