Adding apps to Self Service

dmitchell
Contributor

This is probably something very simple, we never really utilized SS but I would like to start. I can't seem to figure out how to add custom apps to SS. I know how to do it for App store apps as it's pretty just right there. Example, I want to make Skype for Business available in SS, how do I get it to show up under software. It's probably something I am missing but I really don't see where to add it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

macOS or iOS? The process is different for each, and I can't really guide you that well on the latter.

If this is for Macs, you have to have some kind of install package created and uploaded into Casper Admin/on your CasperShare that will install the software, like Skype for Business. Then create a policy, just like you would for a silent install policy, add the aforementioned package and any scripts or other items to it like usual. Then click the Self Service tab in the policy creation setup and check the "Make available in Self Service" checkbox. You can then set up a description, button name, add an icon, etc. Finally, set the appropriate scope, like against a Smart Group of machines that do not have it installed, or are out of date, and it will show up for them in the Self Service.app once you save the changes.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

macOS or iOS? The process is different for each, and I can't really guide you that well on the latter.

If this is for Macs, you have to have some kind of install package created and uploaded into Casper Admin/on your CasperShare that will install the software, like Skype for Business. Then create a policy, just like you would for a silent install policy, add the aforementioned package and any scripts or other items to it like usual. Then click the Self Service tab in the policy creation setup and check the "Make available in Self Service" checkbox. You can then set up a description, button name, add an icon, etc. Finally, set the appropriate scope, like against a Smart Group of machines that do not have it installed, or are out of date, and it will show up for them in the Self Service.app once you save the changes.

dmitchell
Contributor

@mm2270 I knew it was something simple I was overlooking. Thanks!

frodriguez
New Contributor

@dmitchell To make life much easier when it comes to updates and adding Application to SS, you can also look into AutoPkg. Saves on many hectics. It automatically puts Apps in SS.

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

I hate to bring back an old thread but is there a way to add a package installation to SS portal after its uploaded via JAMF Admin?

The Apple Store products install neatly but want to do the same with the non apple store applications is there a way to add them in the SS catalog under It's respective Category neatly for installing at the users leisure.

abarrett
New Contributor

JAMF Crew, you folks have to do a better job with posting How to documents.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

So wait, your question is: How do you add custom policies to Self Service?

I'll bite.

d1441aa9c6d94a85af0dd3a87cd1f8f1
fa0cb198eba64b168016d6151c8315a2
e2153d6a967c491998802277ae0c3e23
480a9e9aaf704b8799d548f4e67df60a

PoisonApple
New Contributor II

So I did this, I am running into an issue where the policy makes the app available but it also installs silently. I need the app to just be in SS for all users, but not install unless they initiate.