Admin users bypass MCX settings

Not applicable

I am only using Casper to apply MCX settings to our Macs, most of the settings are applied as I would like but it would be great if when a admin user logs on they get the option to bypass the MCX settings (for example we only allow certain preference panes so we would like the admin users to have access to them all).

I created a com.apple.loginwindow plist with the AdminMayDisableMCX key with the boolean value of 1 and uploaded this to Casper. The problem is when I log on to a freshly imaged machine with this MCX setting applied it never prompts the admin user to bypass the MCX settings, be it the AD domain admin or a local admin user. If I go to the Managed Client menu in System Profiler it is showing the key as being present and applied to the admin user that is logged in.

Am I missing something here, or does the Casper MCX setup not allow for this setup to happen?

5 REPLIES 5

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I think this mcx is set at computer level in OD.

Was it set at this level in the JSS or can it be?

Regards,

Ben.

Not applicable

That key is not supported by Casper mcx.

Thanks
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Not applicable

When I upload my .plist it doesn't give a system option unfortunately.

I have my JSS installed on an Xserve but at the moment I am just using the managed preferences within Casper itself. Bearing in mind Larry's reply saying that key is not supported by Casper's MCX is there another way of having managed preferences set for Standard users and not set for Admins?

Our Macs are bound to AD and we do not have an OD.

Cheers,
Chris

Not applicable

Hey Chris,
If your MCX settings don't change all that often you could script it to the
Local Computer record.

This will allow for disabling mcx settings.

You could also look at extending the schema on AD

Thanks
Larry

Not applicable

Would I use Workgroup Manager to do this?

Also we did extend our AD schema before implementing Casper, is there a way we can use this?