Adobe CC install to ~/Applications

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

I was wondering if there's a way to install the adobe creative suite into the ~/Applications folders to help our non-admin creative users update / install fonts.  I know a lot of efforts can be handled via the creative cloud apps, but they are still finding issues with fonts and 3rd party plugins.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

With how adobe handles their .pgk, I don't think you can change the destination, at least not until after it installs. I would not recommend moving it to ~/Applications though. 

It sounds like your issue is more a permissions issue than a location issue. Have you tried changing file permissions on the app and its sub directories instead? Basically giving wheel write and modify permissions.

View solution in original post

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Adobe is a fickle beast. There could be dependencies that are looking for Adobe to be in /Applications, if there are they would break if you moved the app.

For one quick example, Adobe CC's Launch Agent is hard coded to use /Applications. You would need to go back and modify anything with the path hard coded every time the application installs, and possibly when it updates also. To me it would not be worth tracking this down and keeping up on it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud</string>
	<key>Program</key>
	<string>/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Creative Cloud/ACC/Creative Cloud.app/Contents/MacOS/Creative Cloud</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Creative Cloud/ACC/Creative Cloud.app/Contents/MacOS/Creative Cloud</string>
		<string>--showwindow=false</string>
		<string>--onOSstartup=true</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

With how adobe handles their .pgk, I don't think you can change the destination, at least not until after it installs. I would not recommend moving it to ~/Applications though. 

It sounds like your issue is more a permissions issue than a location issue. Have you tried changing file permissions on the app and its sub directories instead? Basically giving wheel write and modify permissions.

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

I have not tried changing the permissions.  is that less of a risk than installing to ~/Apps?

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Adobe is a fickle beast. There could be dependencies that are looking for Adobe to be in /Applications, if there are they would break if you moved the app.

For one quick example, Adobe CC's Launch Agent is hard coded to use /Applications. You would need to go back and modify anything with the path hard coded every time the application installs, and possibly when it updates also. To me it would not be worth tracking this down and keeping up on it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud</string>
	<key>Program</key>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>--showwindow=false</string>
		<string>--onOSstartup=true</string>
	</array>
	<key>RunAtLoad</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

DebstepFRB
New Contributor III

Do you know how to created a configuration profile that will Load the Creative Cloud Desktop on login ?