Adobe Flash player plugin Uninstall

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

Hi, Totally fed up with the constant updates of Flash player plug in. Does anyone have a deployable method to remove it from my lab Macs?

I know there is the manager in the Utilities folder, and you can uninstall it with that. But this does not look scriptable to me. And I need a deployable method as there are about 300 Macs with it on.

As usual, any help will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Rich Trouton made a script available.

For more information visit: Der Flounder blog

To view the script visit: Rich Trouton script

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

cmcdonald89
New Contributor II

github has a script that we are deploying in our environment (not mine I must add) and seems to work really well.

FYI future visitors: this link is dead.  The script has been removed from GitHub.   @cmcdonald89  

Rich Trouton's script is still viable.

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

@cmcdonald89 Thank You, I will have a look.

sanbornc
New Contributor III

Has anyone tested this yet? Here are some questions I have about this:
Does this block flash content from running in browsers? If not, how would I go about doing that?
Does this script need to be run on a continual basis? It seems like its based on the logged in user so it should run continually whenever a new user/different user is logged in? Maybe have it set to run "Once per user"?
Anyone have anything to report about their experiences with this?

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

@sanbornc
With no Flash player installed, Apps like Safari will not run any Flash content. However Google Chrome has an inbuilt extension for running flash content, for us this is not turned on by default so Chrome will ask each time to run the extension. If you are running Google admin to manage your google accounts, you can use that to stop the extension from in there.

TomRWSmith
New Contributor III

@sanbornc I've used the script which @cmcdonald89 has recommended above and linked this to a policy which runs everyday on a recurring check-in and this seemed to remove Adobe Flash fine.

I've created a smart computer group to show how many Macs have Flash installed, luckily for us we have just moved to Jamf so all our Macs have pretty much been Erased therefore we only have a small number of Macs with Flash installed (Mainly my test Macs). For my settings on the Flash smart group i've used Application Title is Adobe Flash Player Install Manager.app and this has pulled back all Macs with Flash installed.

After the script has ran the smart group has removed the Macs this successfully ran on. I've attached screenshots on my configuration, hopefully this helps a few admins.

eedb68b76901408c8ad7dd841c384076

7e8d95906e34438aa4951e4011217a74

67c9287c1e134f4fac8b9c83d5624c67

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Rich Trouton made a script available.

For more information visit: Der Flounder blog

To view the script visit: Rich Trouton script

Tjernigan
New Contributor III

@atomczynski Rich Trouton script worked wonders for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

apizz
Valued Contributor

@PaulHazelden I would mark https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/33296/adobe-flash-player-plugin-uninstall#responseChild211117 as the solution.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

does anyone know if the rtroutron adobe flash player uninstall script is 100% silent? should the adobe flash player popup appear if a user is logged in at the time the script runs? logged in on another test laptop to see if this popup happens again .

other than that it uninstalled flash.

i was logged in at possibly the same time the script ran (recurring check in) and the adobe flash popup appeared, maybe just a coincidence.

@Tomsmithdrpg here is my Adobe Flash smart group criteria
b47f2978ac5f44e18c4276e7d0f2062f

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@tcandela It was 100% silent for me. The check portion at the bottom is probably what you're seeing when the install manager is running. I used an extension attribute to determine if it was installed and created my smart group based on that data.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

looks like on the 2nd test computer the uninstall flash was silent, i did not see a popup. Maybe the first time it was just the usual annoying popup that adobe runs.

i don't use a EA for adobe flash since the RECON grabs 'plug-in title', so i just use this in my smart group.