Adobe product package fails to install

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I'm surly missing something simple. I am trying to update the Adobe CC and Adobe Acrobat (with CC) packages in JAMF. They keep failing with the response being to contact the vendor, and the install log is saying there was an error with executing the packages scripts. 

  1. Downloading the downloader for a managed package from the Adobe Admin Center
  2. Doing all the random steps to download the package with the adobe package downloader app that comes in the .dmg
  3. Uploading the install.pgk to JAMF (JAMF auto zips the file when uploading)
  4. Putting the install.pkg.zip in a policy
  5. Trigger the policy and fails every time.

If I run the package locally on the device it works like a charm. Before I break down and put the installer pkg in a pkg and run it with a script, does anyone have any idea what I missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Corey_Nechkash
New Contributor III

I've run into this issue before with some of the Adobe installers when we were doing our Adobe 2022 rollout. It actually seemed to be caused by Jamf compressing the large install file.

Try zipping (compressing) the install.pkg file with macOS before uploading into Jamf. That's what fixed the failures for us. You shouldn't need to zip the uninstall.pkg. Those are small enough that I haven't seen any problems letting Jamf do the zip compression.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RLR
Valued Contributor

I had the same issue. Kept telling me the file path was incorrect even though it was already looking at the PKG file. I tried lots of different packages but couldn't get it to work even though running it manually worked fine. I used the exact same process the year before which did work. I put it down to something to do with the OS version or file name encoding.

I contacted Jamf that wasn't really able to help but they pointed me in the direction of installing the apps via the Mac Apps page and using the Jamf App Catalog to install the adobe products. This has worked although it's not great.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Yeah, I run into this with Acrobat. The solution I'm using is a workaround. I'll jump on another Mac and manually check for updates for Adobe Acrobat.

I'll use Composer to package just the Acrobat app. And then I use a patch management policy to deploy. I'm sure that's a better way, but I can't get the package from the Adobe Console to work when I upload to Jamf.

I also use Adobe RUM to manage updates, and this helps. But I end up packaging it myself as well to get those pesky CVEs down.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I learned about RUM a few months back, and have been using it ever since. Adobe could do to be more obvious with RUMs existence, but it does work well. The only downside is on older installs of Adobe products RUM was not included and does not automatically install on its own. 

Corey_Nechkash
New Contributor III

I've run into this issue before with some of the Adobe installers when we were doing our Adobe 2022 rollout. It actually seemed to be caused by Jamf compressing the large install file.

Try zipping (compressing) the install.pkg file with macOS before uploading into Jamf. That's what fixed the failures for us. You shouldn't need to zip the uninstall.pkg. Those are small enough that I haven't seen any problems letting Jamf do the zip compression.

Hope this helps.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Zipping the dumb thing actually worked. Ill take it, thank you!!!

 

Now if only JAMF or Adobe would document anything relevant involving this entire process. 

Glad that worked for you! I'm pretty sure that zipping the file prior to uploading was from one of the Jamf support crew. I've used that trick quite a few times in the past year.

mschlosser
Contributor

i typically get machines to update adobe products including acrobat by running the adobe update manager in a form similar to this remoteupdatemanager --action=install, before running this command, I typically use the following style of command to close whatever app I am trying to update ex. osascript -e 'quit app "Acrobat Pro DC"' ; hope that helps.