Allowing Un-Notarized Apps?

KSibley
New Contributor III

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if you are packaging and deploying un-notarized apps still in your environment. 62591a05f97e4d41988dc40e65f5901e

I'm not sure whether we should still be allowing and packaging these apps since this will make upgrading to catalina much more difficult...since they won't run in catalina.

lemme know!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

iRyan23
New Contributor III

I open the app on my test machine and click Open so the quarantine flag disappears. Then I package it up with Composer and deploy.

Keep in mind that you WILL be able to run Non-notarized apps* in Catalina by white-listing them in Jamf.

See here for more info on the changes coming for Mac Admins with Catalina.

*Now that I think about it, during the conference they said you would be able to white-list and run internal apps. I'm not sure if we can white-list applications from other vendors. Regardless of if we can pre-approve these apps from MDM, you will always be able to manually override the Gatekeeper setting to allow it to run on the local system.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

iRyan23
New Contributor III

I open the app on my test machine and click Open so the quarantine flag disappears. Then I package it up with Composer and deploy.

Keep in mind that you WILL be able to run Non-notarized apps* in Catalina by white-listing them in Jamf.

See here for more info on the changes coming for Mac Admins with Catalina.

*Now that I think about it, during the conference they said you would be able to white-list and run internal apps. I'm not sure if we can white-list applications from other vendors. Regardless of if we can pre-approve these apps from MDM, you will always be able to manually override the Gatekeeper setting to allow it to run on the local system.

rhooper
Contributor III

We honestly had some pretty big concerns about approved app Feature in Mojave and High Sierra because of all the KEXTS that needed to be pre-approved. some businesses and schools use their own applications, even older ones. Here is an article I read, use it as you can.
https://medium.com/@hammen/significant-changes-in-macos-10-15-catalina-of-interest-to-mac-admins-fbc3865c055e