an error occurred while obtaining automatic configuration settings Pre Stage

cwalken
New Contributor II

I am running into an issue on big sur with prestage enrollments. After passing language and wifi, I run into the error stated above "an error occurred while obtaining automatic configuration settings" on the remote management screen. I have followed the vidoes and set my prestage to the same settings, yet big sur will not pull the configurations. On Jamf Pro 10.27. Any help would be appreciated.

27 REPLIES 27

tep
Contributor II

I am seeing the same thing. It's odd because it works on the same machine with an internet recovery of Mojave...

NPU-Casper
New Contributor III

We just got this error too, doing more data gathering. Anyone figure out what the issue was and how to fix? Thanks

ben_mcneil
New Contributor II

Ive had a it a handfull of times also. in all of my cases ive ended up shoving the machine aside and looking at it a day or two later and it magically works.
I wonder if Apple have some sort of rate limiting or something on how many times in a day you can do an internet recovery / DEP lookup thing.

CR1
New Contributor

I have the same issue. I been trying for two days now.

user-abixTHjnLL
New Contributor

I have the same issue, was there ever any resolution to this?

willsmithcc
New Contributor II

Same issue here on one specific MacBook. Will try a Catalina install and see where that gets me.

Edit: no dice.

rkeleghan
New Contributor III

`im currently getting the same on MBP Intel with 11.3.1 installed ..

Any ideas?

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Just got a call from a colleague on this error today (while re-enrolling an existing Intel 2019 MacBook Pro 13" that shipped with Catalina but had Big Sur 11.3 installed).

We recently rebuilt our PreStage Enrollment settings (per a Jamf Support call 3 weeks ago), but we have enrolled ~5 new M1 and Intel Macs (Big Sur 11.2.3 & 11.3.1) since then with no DEP/AMB/PreStage issues.

dce8444d8d2548da80643fee0b2fc2ab

Any thoughts on the cause of this?

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

Solved:

Per Jamf Support, we simply zapped the PRAM on the affected Mac (2019 Intel MacBook Pro), and now the Mac can pull our DEP PreStage and enroll into Jamf management.

oli
New Contributor III

Thank you very much for sharing this solution! After hours of trying, I found this Post and your solution!

Hi I've tried that sour time and it hasn't worked any other solution ?

This worked for me - Thanks!

Thanks for this I've been pulling my hair out for about 2 hours now and this did the trick.

rtylerdavis
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I was just in the same boat as everyone replying to this and this did the trick immediately. Super frustrating for like 2 hours and then nailed it.

Just ran into this for the first time on an older device I'm using as a test device. Good ole PRAM still solved it, thanks!

TexasITAdmin
New Contributor III

I had the same issue with a 2019 MBP as well.
I can confirm that resetting the PRAM worked.
Thank you.

TexasITAdmin
New Contributor III

Also, it appears you need to reset the PRAM every time. After enrolling and running through my install workflows I went ahead and reset the device again to see if the error could be reproduced. I did get the same error message again and once again the error was resolved by resetting the PRAM.

TexasITAdmin
New Contributor III

And, Finally, I did a PRAM reset BEFORE doing a wipe and reinstall and I still go the same error message. I needed to reset the PRAM again to complete enrollment. This is problematic as it breaks my MDS deployment workflow.

cwalken
New Contributor II

Im not sure what happened, but every new MacBook we have purchased seems to be working. We added an enrollment customization as well after this started to work.

I am curious if the new hardware works due to the OS that comes preinstalled.

I never got around to test the PRAM but I will be happy to update this more when we get an older MacBook returned that is part of our DEP

guillaumegete
New Contributor III

I had the same issue on a Mac and can confirm that zapping the PRAM did solve the issue. Thanks for the heads-up.

ndempsey
New Contributor II

Wow. Thank you for the Resest-NVRAM fix. I had only ever seen this on MacBook that had had its motherboard replaced. Figured that was the problem for some weirdo reason.

DLew97
New Contributor

Thank you! the Reset of the PVRAM fixed the issue. I am able to enroll my test macOS device.
Thanks for sharing!

DeniseL
New Contributor

You guys all rock.  The PRAM reset worked for me also.  Thanks for sharing.

Martinus
New Contributor II

+1 for the PRAM solution here as well. Now the Mac showed the Hello welcome step as well before stating the Monterey setup, it didn't before.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I have seen this 2 or 3 more times over the summer/fall. Zapping the PRAM has done the trick every time.

gabester
Contributor III

Glad I stumbled across this... I'm trying to test a prestage with a Monterey guest on Virtualbox.

Unfortunately nvram -c doesn't seem to be up to the task of resetting the PRAM...

I wonder if I have to zap the PRAM on the host?

An error occured while obtaining automatic configuration settings.An error occured while obtaining automatic configuration settings.nvram -pnvram -p

kbroderick
New Contributor

I've had a PRAM reset work on most machines when I've seen this, but one is being stubborn. I'm attempting to re-enroll after a fresh install of 12.6.5 on a 2020 MBA (MacBookAir9,1). I have confirmed that the machine still appears in Apple School Manager. I've tried removing it from the MDM server assignment and adding it again; I've reset the PRAM multiple times and done multiple wipe-and-reinstall cycles.

I'm still getting the same error. Anyone seen a persistent issue like this?