App Store - Install app updates

reidg
New Contributor III

We would like to enforce automatic updating of all App Store apps on Mac OS.

There is a setting in System Preferences -> App Store -> Install app updates (as shown in the attached image), but I am unable to find that setting in the JSS console (Config Profiles, Managed Prefs, etc.)

I was able to configure updates for one app at a time via Mac App Store Apps, but not all apps.

Is this a limitation in JSS or am I missing it?

Thanks,
Reid

731a72de3dcb48bca374b9e0f9cfc978

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I don't believe there's a way to manage those settings via a profile as of yet, but you can set those options using the defaults command:

To enable app updates from the Mac App Store to be installed automatically, run the following command with root privileges:

/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.commerce AutoUpdate -bool true

For more information on this, please see the link below:
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/managing-automatic-app-store-and-os-x-update-installati...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I don't believe there's a way to manage those settings via a profile as of yet, but you can set those options using the defaults command:

To enable app updates from the Mac App Store to be installed automatically, run the following command with root privileges:

/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.commerce AutoUpdate -bool true

For more information on this, please see the link below:
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/12/29/managing-automatic-app-store-and-os-x-update-installati...

Matthew_Ramsay
New Contributor III

@rtrouton In your blog, you say that "When these options are checked in the App Store preferences, the Mac will check for new updates overnight and install them."

Are you aware of a way to kick off the App Store Update process manually once this value has been set?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
Are you aware of a way to kick off the App Store Update process manually once this value has been set?

@Matthew_Ramsay Not sure if there's a better way to do it, but you could look at the mas project (mas cli). I've been playing around with it since it was mentioned on another thread here, and its quite cool, so it might be an option.

jyergatian
Contributor

I thought I'd be able to use a Configuration Profile with Custom Settings to force Apple Software Updates but I'm not seeing the expected results. Based on the profile, I would expect the top 5 items within System Preferences to be checked and grey (forced).

The Configuration Profile:
c19ebf6444684483b23377a302764df5

The result in System Preferences:
f1c14eb191534eeda05f99842f565a50

Are these domains simply not manageable or have I made an error?

acaveny
New Contributor III

@jyergatian ,

Has this been working for you? I'm looking at doing something to handle this, and your solution seems to be the most straight forward.

Bongardino
New Contributor III

We've been trying this for the past week and it seems to be working, but there are two things I can't find the answer to.

We're only really concerned with enforcing security updates.
Is it enough to only check "Automatically check for updates" and "Install system data files and security updates" or do we ALSO have to enforce "Download newly available updates in the background" ?

How often does OS X check for updates?

Bongardino
New Contributor III

Answered my second question here : http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/23/change-how-often-mac-checks-software-updates/

Still not sure about the first