Apple Configurator 2

Malcolm
Contributor II

I am curious how many have had a chance to play with Apple configurator 2.0 and or also upgraded their production apple configurator to Apple configurator 2.0 ?

It's quite a shift in design... still getting used to the GUI.

I have also found my production apple config v1.7, is no longer mdm enrolling my iPads. has anyone else experienced problems here?

17 REPLIES 17

thomas_moser
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm using Apple Configurator 2 since yesterday and am not very happy with it.
I tried to install an Apple TV, WLAN PW and certificates will be installed per profile. It runs smoothly until Apple Conifg 2 wants to manually restart the device.
So I'm unplugging it (USB and power cord) wait a few seconds, plug in the power cord, wait until the light is steady, plug in the USB cable and... nothing happens. Still saying I have to manually reboot the device.
The Apple TV will be recognized but it doesn't finish the installation. 2 hours later trying with no solution I gave up.

Anyone experienced the same?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We're trying it out on a current project. Its really different. Not necessarily bad, but very different.

Its a bit laborious to use, lots of frequently needed options are tucked away in sub menus which isn't great

Haven't tried it with Apple TVs yet though unfortunately.

• Edit - comment about profiles not in the product has been removed

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Can't create conf profiles in AC??

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Ignore me, just found it.

Profiles are ok.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Yeah I am finding it a bit backwards atm. glad I haven't put it on our production server yet.

I have found with auto mdm enrolment that a wifi profile is REQUIRED... which is backwards cause we use user auth wifi, and also means at a later time the wifi profile will need to be replaced when the security cert is expired.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

@Malcolm Since a WiFi profile is required, here's what I'm doing… I set up a hidden SSID here in our tech department strictly for enrollment purposes. I used AC2 to create a WiFi configuration profile for this new hidden SSID. I set a "time bomb" on the configuration profile to expire after 1 day so that it deletes itself after a day. In the JSS, I have another WiFi configuration profile for our main SSID. So after a day, the hidden enrollment SSID disappears leaving the iPads connecting to our main SSID.

Configuration profiles in AC2 can be created under File -> New Profile.

Hope this helps!
~Joe

Malcolm
Contributor II

@nsdjoe Thats a really good idea. Eventually relised the manual method will do what we need it to also. But ill take that auto removal technique onboard, it should make for less handling.

Cheers.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Thanks @Malcolm ! Its been working out great for us. In case you are interested, I summarized and posted my workflow here. However, I didn't want the post to be too long or confusing so I left out the "time bomb" part... I may add it in a comment later. https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=17323

Enjoy!
~Joe

Malcolm
Contributor II

Nice @nsdjoe Curious, did you migrate from Apple config or are you starting this from scratch?

We have a large number of supervised devices, so our Apple config database is very important to us.

When I did the install on my macbook, I didn't have any supervised devices to see how it handled the supervised devices.

careybell
New Contributor III

I feeling like I am missing something in the AC 2.0. I am having to run an iOS devices through 2 times, first go to supervise and the 2nd go to push profiles. Very different, still getting to know it.

I ended up creating a Automator workflow to make it a single click do supervise and push profiles. This is the site I found that walks you through creating the workflow.

Malcolm
Contributor II

Yeah I seem to be having issues with my profiles through an automatic process, I am still working through it.

hiro142
New Contributor

I'm trying to find out how to manage iOS devices with AC 2.0 like using supervised mode in AC 1.7. It's totally different and doesn't refresh (restore) devices with just plugging them to Mac with AC 2.0. I think I need to repeat 1-2 steps below by hand every single time.
1) apply the same blueprint to restore the master image
2) edit the names
Do you have any idea?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

For reference, the Apple Configurator 2 help pages are here.

jevans76
New Contributor

When creating a new profile for our wireless set up, I can't enter a password once selecting the "Accepted EAP Types", i.e. "PEAP"

I can enter a username, but the Password box is greyed out, and I can't type anything in it, despite Configurator 2 trolling me by placing a yellow exclamation mark next to it and insisting it's a required field!!??

I also can't find a way to import, view contents of, or edit existing profiles - am I missing something?

Even the original Configurator made it easier than this!!

jevans76
New Contributor

OK, I've found how to open and view profiles, but can't see any way to import original Configurator 1 profiles post the AC2 install process, where it converted (and broke all of) the existing Configurator profiles it found on the machine?

jevans76
New Contributor

Someone else has figured out why the password field is greyed out when trying to create a new wireless profile- turns out you have to save the profile first:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=17594

Thanks stwrz

hiro142
New Contributor

Thank you @jarednichols I've found out there's no way to restore devices at the same time with small steps like AC1's automatic restore under supervised mode.
(Maybe restoring backup and preparing are required...)