Apple configurator MacBook logic board replacement

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I have a configurator station that needs to have its logic board replaced. It works in every way save for a broken USB port. The second port works just fine. I have a good back up of the MacBook software wise. Will I run into any glitches with Apple configurator and its supervision/app connection to the cart of iPads by replacing the logic board. Thoughts on this topic appreciated . Please don't respond saying to move to device-based licensing for this cart. We are going to do that this summer. I just want to get through the rest of the school year on what we have.

Thank you in advance,
Blackholemac

8 REPLIES 8

bajones
Contributor II

I don't believe you would have any issues. If I recall correctly, Apple's guidance for retaining the supervision status if something happened to the configurator computer was to just restore from a time machine backup. I don't believe it is hardware specific.

dmichels
Contributor II

Agreed! It is not connected to the hardware. The best way to transfer Apple Configurator to another machine is via Time Machine. I just did it, and the hardware was completely different. It worked fine.

Chubs
Contributor

What's wrong with a new USB hub assembly and a bit of soldering time? I guess actually fixing PCBs are out of the picture now for everyone...it's only a "swap" method - sad really. We are losing the ability to have decent soldering skills.

and I agree with @dmichels

I find your lack of faith disturbing

bajones
Contributor II

@Chubs It's probably a warranty repair so replacement would be free. MLB replacements are generally not cost effective for Apple computers >3 years old.

Chubs
Contributor

@bajones Since the OP didn't mention a warranty repair, I just assumed that it was out of warranty. We repair and PCB that fails here that's out of warranty normally - if the parts are available.

I find your lack of faith disturbing

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I appreciate all the replies. MacBook is actually in warranty. We are a self servicing provider. I likely will be doing the repair myself. I just wanted to make sure that we didn't gum up Apple configurator by doing so. I have a time machine back up, so from what I'm hearing this is a no-brainer.

gabester
Contributor III

This seems to outline what you need to do - although it's a bit dated (2012)... Not sure of the impact of changes from Configurator 1.x to 2.0, for example:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3992980

In turn that specifically references Apple guidance https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202430 which states that proceeding as outlined allows supervised management of the devices: "After restoring a full backup, you can use the new or reinstalled Mac to manage devices supervised by the previous Apple Configurator Mac."

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

This link may help.