Apple ID's and iPads

bradym
New Contributor II

Hello,

First of all I have had a quick check and nothing new about this has been posted for a while, so just wanted some clarification.

I am about to setup a trolley full of iPads which will be all the same. Do I have to setup each iPad individually with an apple ID or can the same one be used for each iPad using casper?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

What do you need the Apple IDs for?

bradym
New Contributor II

Need to install apps when they get pushed out from Casper.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Go with device-based assignments, and push the apps out directly to iOS 9 devices without Apple IDs.

RLR
Valued Contributor

You can now assign apps to devices so they don't require Apple ID's. The iPads do need to be in DEP though.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Are you sure about that, @RLR?

jason_busch
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Yup: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=418

bradym
New Contributor II

Thanks for the responses, how would it be possible to do this please?

Any information on this would be great thanks!

Mike

jason_busch
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Moving from User- to Device-based VPP Assignments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XllT77Xe16k

jason_busch
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

We are using Device based assignment for our carts that were originally supervised in Apple Configurator 1.7.2, so they are supervised and not in DEP.
Has been working well, on a limited basis, to add apps to devices that have been updated to 9.2.1

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

This is my experience as well - we can deploy device-based apps to devices, that are NOT in DEP. So it's not true that they have to be in DEP in order to deploy device-bassed apps to them.

sulanseytkach
New Contributor

@St0rMl0rD My understanding is that supervision via DEP was the prerequisite for device-based app assignments. Is the workaround supervising via Apple Configurator 2?

Thanks!

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I think there might be a typo somewhere that says supervised AND DEP but it should say supervised OR DEP...in any case:

We currently have carts supervised and enrolled in jss using Apple Configurator 1.7.x We have a profile hiding the App Store and we have sent apps to them using device based distribution.
Works great, iPads have to be iOS 9.x I have pushed free and paid apps out to several of these carts with no issues.

We also have 1 to 1 iPads for middle schoolers. These are in DEP and supervised. I just converted all their apps to device based distribution without interruption and now have the App Store hidden and all apps in Self Service Mobile.
Sandy

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

To clarify:

If you want your MDM to be able to push apps with no user interaction, the device must be supervised (DEP, or Configurator).

You can do device-based VPP on non-supervised devices, but the user will be prompted to install the app.

sulanseytkach
New Contributor

Ah, okay, so supervised or DEP really means supervised via Apple Configurator or supervised via DEP.

Jared, I'm a little confused by your example. If the user will be prompted to install the app, won't they need to enter an Apple ID? That sounds like user-based app assignments.

Thanks!

chris_miller
Contributor

Yes, in that case it's just user based and needs an Apple ID. I will chime in and say the device based VPP works really, really well. Taking the user out of the equation eliminated a ton of issues.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor
If the user will be prompted to install the app, won't they need to enter an Apple ID? That sounds like user-based app assignments.

No, not if the app is set to deploy via device-based VPP. If the device is unsupervised (e.g. they were manually enrolled, or they're BYOD) the user will still be prompted to install the app. Only when a device is supervised can you silently install an app (whether it's Apple ID-based VPP or device-based VPP).

I understand there's a lot of minutiae here.

futuraskolan
New Contributor

How can you enrol ipads on Jamf without asking for the apple ID? After the message "the company will configure your ipad* the screen for the apple ID comes up ... we use shared ipads so cannot have apple ID....

Thank you

mmcallister
Contributor II

@futuraskolan In your PreStage Enrollment settings you can select to skip AppleID in the setup assistant.