Apple IDs and System Apps

MaciOSNerd
New Contributor II

Curious if anyone has found a work around for this: Here's the scenario,

All Apps are installed/available in Self Service via Device-based deployment. No Apple IDs and no iCloud/iTunes Accounts as well as no AppStore.

Students remove the Mail App from their devices, one way to get the App back is to put the App Store back on, the other, restrict the ability to remove System Apps (iOS 11 Feature). Here's the new issue...

System Apps installed on the iPad from out of the box now include (GarageBand, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, Numbers) and require an Apple ID to use. With all the Apps being free we have licenses for all devices and Apps are located in Self Service which when installed do not require an Apple ID to use. Opening up the restriction and deleting each bundle of Apps from all 7000 devices and then deploying them via jamf not the best solution. Has anyone found a better work around for this?

Cheers,

6 REPLIES 6

robii
New Contributor III

What happens if you select "Make app managed if currently installed as unmanaged"? I don't know if the app will still require the an Apple ID but at least once it becomes managed, you can then un-scope it and thus remove it.

hendersong
New Contributor III

I had the same thing with new iPad rollouts this fall. Selecting to make the app managed as mentioned above worked great for most of the devices. For the rest still having issues I placed the app in self service (redeemed via VPP) > chose to reinstall from there for any apps asking for the Apple ID. That method was able to install the app and make it managed. If the reinstall didn’t work or asked for the Apple ID > deleting the app and installing via self service was the fix also. Hope that helps.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

From what Im seeing, with preinstalled Apple Apps are not able to be managed and either require you to delete them first and re push, or wipe the device before enrollment.
When I reached out to JAMF about this, they did say this looks like an issue on Apple's side with requirements to sign into an apple id before the preinstalled iOS apps are usable and therefore cannot be managed even if you check the Make App Managed checkbox.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

thejenbot
Contributor III

Additionally there is a PI related to having the "make app manage if currently installed as unmanaged;" it required us to request that online services do a mass action to uncheck that box on all apps in our catalog...

Tolandese
Contributor

Has there been any movement on this? We ran into this issue again when the apple update brought Clips and had to redo the process. Now I am being told students are having Pages show again as requesting an AppleID. I am investigating as I dont see how we can go backwards and these apps will be completely unusable for us if this keeps happening.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

more: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/29602/how-do-i-remove-pre-installed-ios-apps-in-favor-of-vpp-versions