Apple School Manager (ASM) Not Importing Class Number

Phantom5
Contributor II

Hi, I'm using the .csv import feature in Apple School Manager to import students and classes information into Apple School Manager and then have it synchronized with JAMF Pro. Students, Staff, Courses, Staff, Classes and Roaster all import good, except for the Classes Number that seems to be ignored by ASM. I tried using text, numbers, enclose values in double quotes but nothing seems to work for ASM.

I don't get any errors during importing into ASM. When I try to use the Class Number value in JAMF Pro to format the Classes name, I just get value of null for the Class number from ASM. Any ideas?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@f.deis Are you sure the class_id data for those classes are also in the rosters.csv?

Phantom5
Contributor II

@cdenesha yeap. class_id data for those classes is also in the rosters.csv. As I said, it's only that piece of information that's not imported, just the Class Number, the Classes are created in ASM along with Courses, Students, Staff, Rosters and Location.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

If in ASM you can Edit a Class and see data in the Class Number field, but in Jamf it is coming over Null.. then you'll probably need to open a ticket.

Phantom5
Contributor II

@cdenesha, Is not that JAMF Pro is importing the class_number as null, is that ASM is not using the class_number value from the .csv file while importing the classes. And because the classes are imported from sftp there's no way to modify the Class Number from within ASM once imported from the csv files except for the Class Name.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@f.deis ahh, ok. the only thought I have is to download the sftp template again and make sure the column order and naming is still correct. good luck!

Phantom5
Contributor II

Thanks @cdenesha, will try again for fourth time. I've made sure the template headers are not touched and the order of the columns are as the originals. We basically fill in the data fields.

zachishani
New Contributor II

I can confirm this is an issue. We have the class numbers in ASM - but the JAMF Pro sync no longer syncs them (it used to).

RLR
Valued Contributor

I have a similar issue but with a staff member not being added to her classes. The classes get added and all the students appear but the teacher doesn't. I've been told that apple are working on a fix and it should be fixed within the next 2 weeks.

The apple care ticket number is: 100836617192

luke_reagor
Contributor II

We're seeing the same thing. Jamf has stopped pulling the class_number field from ASM. It has caused us to have duplicate classes show up. When we wipe all our Jamf classes and reimport, the class_number variable still has no value. I can see in the DB that the class_number field in the roster_class table is null. Huge problem.

zachishani
New Contributor II

We managed to find a work around.

After importing all your classes to JAMF, go into Apple School Manager. Create a manual class (make sure it has assigned a valid Staff member, Student and Course). Save this new manual class in ASM then go back to JAMF Pro and do a manual 'Force Sync' under the Education Settings. Once the manual sync has completed - all the previously imported Class Numbers will now be showing under Mobile Devices > Classes.

CairoJXP
Contributor

@zachishani Thanks for that post! I just tried what you said and it worked for us.