Apple School Manager - Upgrade Accounts to Location based tokens

Jayacovelli
New Contributor

Has anyone gone through the process yet? I am in a school district and we have about 1000 ipads managed by JAMF. We have been hesitant to go through the process with our accounts. I spoke with Apple today and they told me that ideally you would want the licenses to not be assigned, but that will not work in our case, but that it should be fine. We would just need to re-upload the token once the accounts were updated. I was hoping maybe someone who has already gone through this could give me some insight or any tips I should know. Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

belldesean
New Contributor III

We recently made the switch in our school district with almost 7,000 iPads and 4 different APF accounts. Even though our Apple Engineer was on site and walking us through the steps we still encountered many bumps in the road, some pretty critical. Thankfully, Joe Schieffer, of Jamf Support, was on board and able to get us back on track. It was a lengthy process but a very beneficial learning experience for both JAMF and Apple. Because of our issues I'm sure they have a smoother more streamlined process that will benefit anyone making this change. I would recommend you reach out and ask for his assistance. He's definitely learned the ins and outs, do's and don'ts, and tips and tricks of the whole process. Good luck!!

Joe Schieffer

joe.schieffer@jamf.com

Jamf Support

Support: (844) 411-5263

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

We have 10 tokens, 4500 iPads, all DEP, using almost exclusively device based app distribution

jamf Pro 10.1.1

One big tip I have is that you don't want to update your existing app legacy tokens by replacing them with the ASM tokens, but rather create new VPP Accounts in Jamf and add the ASM tokens to those. I strongly recommend opening a Jamf ticket before you go too far so you don't have to go back and repair.

Almost all of my licenses stayed scoped (at least so far) and everything is good, with the exception of ONE token where MANY of my PAID managed licenses did not transfer from VPP to ASM (so not a Jamf thing in the least) I have a case w/ Apple and it is dragging along....
Of course the one problem account is for special ed....clock is ticking before the 30 day grace expires and the apps uninstall.....

I like the new interface for apps in ASM. Nice to see all locations by App, and easy to moved purchases from location to location. I also have created a location in ASM that does not exist in Jamf, and have transferred any 32 bit and overbought apps there so they are removed from Jamf (10,000 licenses? why?)