Apps in Self Service now say "Pending" but do not install

metznerj
New Contributor II

Just recently we have started to notice that any app that we send out to our iOS devices in Self-Service are not installing. Teachers will tap to install and it changes to "Pending" but just stays there. No apps are getting installed. We have tried this on different wireless networks thinking there was a block in place but nothing has helped. Does anyone have a possible solution for us to try?

21 REPLIES 21

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

off the top of my head, have you verified you have the newest version listed in your App Catalog? Updates are coming pretty fast to accommodate iOS 7

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

double clutch

keaton
Contributor
Contributor

@metznerj What version of the JSS are we running? We want to make sure we are running either 8.72 or 9.x that supports iOS 7.

If this is happening with apps that use VPP codes, try checking the box "Manage apps when possible" for the app in the JSS and see if it goes through.

metznerj
New Contributor II

Our JSS is 9.01. I was suspecting a "latest version" issue here. It is happening with both paid VPP codes and with free apps as well.

metznerj
New Contributor II

One of our apps that is "pending" already has the "Manage apps when possible" box checked.

nmcspadden
New Contributor II

I've seen this behavior a few times, but I've been able to do several things to resolve it:

1) Go into the App Store on the device and try to download a free app (like iBooks, or Podcasts). The iTunes Terms & Conditions have changed, and users will need to accept it before being permitted to download anything from the App Store. I've found that the JSS doesn't handle this well and app installs get "stuck" until this is done.

2) Once the app downloads (or starts downloading and is cancelled, which works for me), try doing an Inventory Update on the affected device. This has the side-effect of updating the Web Clip if it's out of date.

3) If necessary, power the device completely off and open it again. I've also found that closing the Safari page for the Web Clip is helpful.

4) Between the App Store download "clearing out the chamber" of pending installs and the updated web clip and accepted the Terms and Conditions changes, that seems to resolve the issue for me, every time.

keaton
Contributor
Contributor

Try tapping "Pending" in Self Service on one of those apps and see if it prompts us to install.

mbayhylle
New Contributor II

Anyone else having this problem (or got it resolved)? I'm having the same issue with several faculty members and none of the above suggestions worked.

I've got a support ticket in but wanted to see if anyone else has any ideas.

eukatc
New Contributor II

Had the same problem with v9.01 and iOS7 clients :(

To resolve it you need to update the JSS to at least version 9.12 and then make sure the iOS device does an inventory so that it can update its self service app.

Should work after that

apple4ever
New Contributor

This has been driving us NUTS. We never had the problem til we upgraded to 9. I've tried many suggestions and no one thing will work. Sometimes the devices need to be reenrolled. Sometimes just clearing out the old pending commands. I've noticed that a big one that always seems to hold things up is apps with VPP codes. They NEVER show the popup notification. We have to uncheck "manage app when possible" so that it gets sent directly to the App Store.

I know some of this isn't JAMFs fault- Apple needs to have a better system of pushing Apps.

lhnshana
New Contributor

Do you have age restrictions set in any of your profiles?

I have a 12+ app restriction on our iPads and I have an app in Self-service (google chrome) that is rated 17+. If I try to download it from self service, it loads, then disappears because of the age restriction, and it's left at "pending" in self service.

If it's not an age restriction, it may be some similar restriction that's keeping it from appearing on the iPad.

aschultz
New Contributor II

I have been working on solutions for this issue. I'm running JSS version 9.2.1 For me, The Problem lies within the JSS.

In the JSS, Mobile Devices, On the iPad in question, go to "History" / "Apps". Click on "Pending" tab, and Cancel the pending app. Clear out any "Failed" apps as well.

I came here hoping for a solution like, searching for Pending apps on the JSS, or a python script for clearing the "Pending" from the JSS.

Running this script also has helped. https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProductFile.html?id=209&fid=571

MACS
New Contributor

Hello We also have this problem, and clearing the pending command in the history of the mobile device doesn't Help Does anybody have a solution for this problem

aschultz
New Contributor II

I had a discussion about this with my JAMF Support rep, he looked at a database report that I uploaded to Jamfnation, and mentioned that I had several database errors.

This was the fix, that seemed to help. I had to run it a few times, each time less devices were affected.
Run the following commands in terminal:

1. Log into MySQL: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u jamfsoftware -p (standard password is jamfsw03)

2. in the mysql shell select the jamfsoftware DB:

use jamfsoftware;

1. Delete pending commands, these will get repopulated after they are deleted:

delete from mobile_device_management_commands where apns_result_status != 'Acknowledged';

Malcolm
Contributor II

It would be nice to be able to set an expiry to dump pending requests that might be jamming up the line.

Malcolm
Contributor II

A lot of these issues I have noticed have been related to the itunes account, either it hadn't been verified for additional purchase and account information, internet proxy related issues, or it just isn't prompting for their password. A hard reset usually fixed the problem

nsdjoe
Contributor II

I've had a small number of iPads with this issue where none of the JSS fixes worked. However, I've been able to resolve it by using an app called PhoneView. I plug the iPad into my computer and in PhoneView go to Settings -> Advanced Disk Mode. Then I navigate to Disk -> Downloads and delete everything in that folder (you might see a .sqlitedb file and a folder or two). I then go into the JSS and remove failures or cancel pending requests for the iPad and then "Update inventory." Then on the iPad I quit Safari, restart, and go to Self Service to redownload the app. So far this has worked for all iPads that have had chronic pending app issues. In these cases I think its more of an iOS issue vs a JSS issue. If you've tried all the JSS fixes and still have a few problem iPads, try using a tool like PhoneView or other iPhone/iPad browsing tool (DiskAid, iExplorer, etc) and clear out the Downloads folder. Good luck!!

~Joe

wanryu
New Contributor

This algorithm has been working for me:

1. Go to Settings > App Store and make sure the student is logged into their Apple ID.
  2. Log in to the JSS, click "Search" in the mobile devices view and find the right device. Delete the iPad from the Mobile Devices view. NOT THE USER ACCOUNT — THE DEVICE.
  3. On the iPad, Settings > General > Profiles, delete the CA Certificate and MDM Profile.
  4. On the iPad, enroll the iPad again and assign to the correct student.
  5. Agree to install the two profiles.
  6. Open Self Service and log in as the student.
  7. Accept the VPP Invitation if they haven't already.
  8. Attempt to install software. It should ask for the Apple ID password. Enter it and confirm that software is installed.

Goober22
New Contributor III

I have come into this issue before and I ended finding out that at one point the web server that was hosting the apps changed. This then got caught up in the firewall and blocked. One thing to try is to go into the web interface of the JSS and see if it will allow you to add a managed app. If not I would talk to your network security people about doing a sniff while you are trying to access the app to see where the connection stops.

Jamfipadadmin
New Contributor

Hi All:

Just want to let all you know, I followed alexwhite steps and get it work! (thanks! AlexWhite).

I think the trick is : "log in". On VPP assignments, its seems need to confirm this iPad has a user. So, I log in with one of my LDAP's account when I install the CA Certificate and MDM profile via Safari. After installed all profiles, it prompts out that " I accept install the VPP apps and ebooks or not". Coz I open the auto download as well, all my VPP assigned apps installed automatically!! WoW!

Hope this help all you guys.

SGpro_
New Contributor

I got the same problem too
I'll put the logs on soon