AST Updates

robby_barnes
New Contributor III

Anyone out there a service provider that has any experience updating AST through Jamf? Were you able to get it to work? Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

robby_barnes
New Contributor III

Well we pushed it out to all of them, and it worked like a champ. I added the policy to reboot after the install, and every one of them is working great.

Obviously this wouldn't work when you need to install new OS's, but when they just update the AST app itself, seems like it works great.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Never really thought about using the JSS to upgrade AST. Do you have multiple AST servers?
I can't really see it being much different from any other application, it's just a .pkg is it not?

robby_barnes
New Contributor III

It is a package, yes. But anyone who knows AST knows that it's super finicky. I'll be trying it out, I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it yet.

We currently have 60 stores that have full service shops all running AST, in 27 different states. So it would save us a significant amount of time to update through jamf, but as it is pretty critical to us, it just makes me nervous. I will definitely be heavily testing it before I mass deploy.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We haven't got as many locations so just do it manually. Would be interesting to hear how you get on though!

robby_barnes
New Contributor III

I am pushing to about 5 test servers right now that are non critical. If that works I'll push it out company wide tomorrow. I will result discuss the results here.

robby_barnes
New Contributor III

Well we pushed it out to all of them, and it worked like a champ. I added the policy to reboot after the install, and every one of them is working great.

Obviously this wouldn't work when you need to install new OS's, but when they just update the AST app itself, seems like it works great.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Bet'cha AST 2.0 will be easier to "patch". :) Got a chance to use it today, very awesome. If you have a non-proxy connection to the internet.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

robby_barnes
New Contributor III

AST 2.0 is presenting some other challenges that we are having to solve, but it does seem like we're making progress. AST seems super sensitive to settings changes though. As much as I try, it doesn't seem that deploying any part of it is a very good idea as part of Jamf. It is best to download it and install it per server, unfortunately.