Auto name iPad based on device serial number

mpetrick
New Contributor III

I have 50 iPads that I have the device serial number for in an excel spreadsheet. I work for a community college and will be dividing up iPads around our district libraries for students to check out and take home. We use Casper (cloud) for our MDM and are part of the Apple DEP. Is there any way for me to assign a specific name to an iPad based on it's serial number? For example, I want our iPad with Serial Number DMXXXXXXXXXX to automatically assign the name CampusAiPad12345 to that iPad each time a student check's it out (the iPads will be reset and wiped when a student turns it back in).

Is there any way for me to do this and make sure that the devices get the per-dertermined name I have for it based on its serial number?

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10

lee_smith
Contributor

Hey @mpetrick

Under Mobile Devices -> Prestage Enrollments -> Mobile Device Names

You can pick the "Naming Method" there
- Default Names
- Serial Numbers
- List of Names

Then there is a check box "Enforce Mobile Device Names" and you can set the Prefix and Suffix.

This will force the Naming Convention each time.

mpetrick
New Contributor III

Correct, but does that let me assign a specific name based on a serial number? I know if I choose Serial Number I have the ability to add a prefix and suffix, but that does not let me give a specific name to a specific device. Same thing with List Of Name.......I give it a list of names, but then it just assigns the next name in the list to a device.

dmichels
Contributor II

You are correct by doing the instructions below, your iPad will be named as the S/N. Here is a solution if you want to change the names individually, but not a good solution to change the name on all 50.

Under Mobile Devices -> Prestage Enrollments -> Mobile Device Names

You can pick the "Naming Method" there
- Default Names
- Serial Numbers
- List of Names

However, by having the name as the s/n it makes it easy to identify in the JSS and you can change the name there, which will update the name on the iPad. In your JSS, go to Mobile Devices and find the record:
- General
- X-Enforce Mobile Device Name
- Mobile Device Name (this is where you can change it)

mpetrick
New Contributor III

Curious if there is a script or something that might be able to do this.

lee_smith
Contributor

Hey @mpetrick

I do apologize for not responding sooner. As @dmichels suggested that would be our workflow. I have tested this work flow and it isn't to bad. At this time we name the iPad's the teachers name i.e. Lee Smith's iPad. This is easily identifiable in the JSS.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I am all open.

mpetrick
New Contributor III

So if I end up going with that workflow, let me ask this (because I would have to do this for 50 iPads).

When a student returns an iPad after they have checked it out, we will make sure iCloud is disabled and then wipe the iPad back to the main setup. Next student comes along and checks out the iPad recently turned in by the previous student. Am I going to need to go back into the JSS and rename the iPad again? Will I have to do this every time an iPad comes back and goes back out again (since they are wiped every time)?

--Marc

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

No, unless you delete the iPad from JSS, it will stay in and will apply the name next time it checks in/enrolls.

mpetrick
New Contributor III

Thank you all for the responses!!

cpominville
Contributor

How about creating a PreStage Enrollment for each device? Every time you wipe it, the device will be named exactly what you desire.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

You could use the API to dynamically rename them.