Best Practice for end of year wipe and re-enroll

mramola
New Contributor III

I'm looking for some advice on the best practice for end of year iPad management using Jamf Pro. We will be taking our 2019 graduates and wiping and re-enrolling them as 2023.

I've tested a couple of ways and can't seem to find a way to maintain the Asset Tag #. If I just wipe a device and re-enroll with a new user it maintains the old user name, department, etc. If I wipe and delete, I lose all data.

4 REPLIES 4

rhooper
Contributor III

My inquiring mind would likle to know as well. We have aver 200 to do this same thing too. We learned last year an image stick is really good but requires a ton of time to perform its tasks.
We have never used JAMF to perform the process, always an image stick. Then afterwards I have to run JAMF MUT to populate the asset #, MAchine name, location, etc.
I would be very interested in a methiod to make this more streamlined.

cgalik
Contributor

+1 for The MUT. When I pave my iPads over the summer, I use Configurator to first export any information I need to keep (mainly the device name, since JAMF still hasn't added this to the list of pre-populate-able fields for some unknown reason), then (still in Configurator), pave & re-enroll. I then use The MUT to re-populate any fields I need, like building, room, username.

Not sure if it is the BEST practice, but it is what I do.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@mramola Hi, if you are using a PreStage, be sure that 'Use existing location information, if applicable' is not checked, as this will retain the username, department, etc. from the previous user

bjohns
New Contributor

I would also like to know the best practice for removing an iPad from management. I have planned to remove iPad from PreStage Enrollment first, then run remote wipe, and then unmanage command. Will this remove the profile, and return the paid institutional app licenses to available from the ones that are marked to remove when profile is removed? At our school we are transferring ownership or redeploying to a new prestage enrollment so I don't think I need to retain any data. Thanks,