Big Sur Printing Issues

estes
New Contributor III

Anyone else having issues with printing on Big Sur? Many docs won't print and throw this error
Error-invalidfont

Updating the PPD file for the printer and changing the TTRasterizer line in the PPD file from Type42 to None, and then deleting and reinstalling the printer resolves the issue.

I can push the updated PPD files but anyone know how to get the printers to recache the updated PPDs?

We're having the issue across Xerox, Lanier, HP printers. Only our Big Sur macs are affected.

16 REPLIES 16

Scott_coe
New Contributor

I've found that I can not print to our network printers through Windows print queues from network/mobile accounts on our test Macs with Big Sur. As soon as I click "print" the job errors out.
I can print from a local account on the computer, then authenticate with my network id & password when the printer authentication window pops-up.
I've started a support ticket with Apple and according to the Helpdesk engineer it's being elevated and further evaluated. Printing with network/mobile accounts worked fine in 10.14 & 10.15. With all new Macs going to M1 chips and requiring Big Sur, this will be an issues for any new purchases.
Apple must have broken it in OS 11.

estes
New Contributor III

Apple definitely broke it but there's deep denial. They're slowly coming around as the issues are stacking up. I made a workaround for our issue. Sets the TTRasterizer to None.

!/bin/sh

cd /etc/cups/ppd
find ./ -type f -exec sed -i '' -e "s/TTRasterizer: Type42/TTRasterizer: None/" {} ;

hphan
New Contributor III

The script above fixes the issue for us. We also learn that the issue is fixed in macOS 11.4 RC.

estes
New Contributor III

@hphan, Where did you hear the issue is fixed in 11.4? Glad to hear it.

froggent
New Contributor II

We have the same issue with our Big Sur Macs not being able to print. We found for us that the issue is related to a Kerberos ticket issued to the Mac from the AD server. If the computer is connected to the network at login, it receives the Kerberos ticket and the user will not be able to print. In our testing, we used 'kdestroy -p steve@DOMAIN.COM' in Terminal to delete the ticket and we were able to print. We have a workaround but not a solution.

estes
New Contributor III

Seems fixed in our 11.4 beta test

froggent
New Contributor II

I am running macOS 11.4 Beta (20F5046g) and the issue is still present for us.

JesseNCSD
New Contributor III

froggent - Have you found any additional info about kerberos & printing in your environment since this April?

froggent
New Contributor II

We have an open ticket with Apple. We have provided them information that they requested and have not heard back in awhile.  At the moment, we cached a policy that deletes the kerberos tickets at login to mitigate the issue.

MacOS 11.4 and above has fixed the issue for us with our Ricoh printers.   Apple had no comment about version 11.4 fixing the issue, since it is not mentioned in the official release notes.

Tlehr
New Contributor II

Hi Froggent. I am contacting my Apple Rep about this issue currently, as we are experiencing this on large scale in our District. Do you mind sharing your Apple Ticket ID with me, so I can emphasize that others are experiencing this as well?

froggent
New Contributor II

Sure, our ticket number is 101400615798.

rfajen
New Contributor II

Script from @estes worked great! It corrected all of our Big Sur printing issues. Thanks!

tgoeppinger
New Contributor II

I just pushed out the script in Jamf Pro, and it fixed the invalidfont errors we were getting on our Ricoh printers. Unfortunately, it caused some emails in Outlook to be printed out as gibberish, and messed up the printing of Microsoft Word documents. It caused more problems than it fixed, so I had to reverse the script to back out the update. Very disappointing day for me.

tgoeppinger
New Contributor II

Did the MacOS 11.4 update just fix this? Its not mentioned in the release notes anywhere, but it seems to be working for me.

taz_nz
New Contributor

@tgoeppinger I believe so, I've just completed the 11.4 update and it is no longer throwing the InvalidFont error. The same document I printed was the exact same one I tried to print a few days ago.