Block Installing Programs

Sobchak
Contributor

We just got a request to block users from being able to install programs on some public use Macs. My initial thought was someone set them up with admin rights but the account is a standard user. I though standard users could not install programs?

The example they gave me and I tested was some kids would go to roblox.com and download/install it. This does indeed work as a standard user. What do I need to do to block this behavior?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

garybidwell
Contributor III

It’s an ongoing issue with certain apps that don’t have a installer (ie they download as a dmg & don’t need to be installed to run (Skype was an example- users just dragged it onto their desktop or even ran straight from the dmg)
The only way I found was to block the process from launching with restricted software setting
The other way is to use parental controls to say only what can be used

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

edickson
Contributor

Something in parental controls perhaps?

I also just found this:

• in the users home dir verify the 'Applications' directory exists, if not create it.
  • assign it the user 'root' and group 'admin' "chmod root:admin Applications".
  • assign permissions of 000 to it "chmod 000 Applications"

from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-can-i-prevent-standard-users-from-installing-software.1085631/
(quite an old thread though)

garybidwell
Contributor III

It’s an ongoing issue with certain apps that don’t have a installer (ie they download as a dmg & don’t need to be installed to run (Skype was an example- users just dragged it onto their desktop or even ran straight from the dmg)
The only way I found was to block the process from launching with restricted software setting
The other way is to use parental controls to say only what can be used

Sobchak
Contributor

Tried using restricted software but even that does now seem to block Roblox. Did I set something incorrectly?e3c235371a854ebdbf0ca3f1ab193f64

Sobchak
Contributor

After going back to my test machine and finding the account locked out. I was unable to log into it. Switched users and the test account was no longer listed. Yeah I guess naming the test account Roblox may have been an issue. Seems like an odd interaction.

Went ahead and created a new test account and it did indeed stop Roblox from installing.