Boston-area JAMF User's Group

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

The Iowa group post got me thinking that having a Boston area group would be really great. Myself, I focus in high-security environments but I wouldn't want to limit to any particular user area. Depending on size, we can have sub-groups and areas of interest.

Being Fidelity, we have loads of meeting space and we've hosted things like this in the past (sometimes with the help of Apple) and I could likely kick off something pretty easily.

207 REPLIES 207

sggr57a
New Contributor II

I'm registered to go.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Yep, I'll be at the Tech Update.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

If you are interested in lunch afterwords please send me an email (in my profile).

I don't know that I'll ever be able to make it to Boston..

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Actually, if you folks go ahead and arrange a get together after the Tech Update I'll shift down that way. Normally I hit Portsmouth, but it would be really convenient for me to go the Natick on the 30th.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I would love to connect with other Casper Admins! How about 1-3 PM, either Bertucci's or Uno Chicago Grill, just up the street?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Either is fine by me.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Sounds good to me! Either works (though Bertucci's has better pizza IMHO)

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Alright. Since tomorrows JUG is postponed. I just wanted to reiterate that I will certainly be at the April 30th TUD and there for whatever JAMF get together after!

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Doh... oblivious me actually just noticed that @Eyoung][/url][/url posted up a JUG for tomorrow.

Is this the JUG you are referring to @Chris_Hafner][/url][/url that's rescheduled?

Boston JAMF User Group Meeting @ Thayer Academy
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/userGroup.html?id=11072808067

Cannot make tomorrow, but let's definitely post a link back here if/when a new JUG is set. I will take the hit for not checking on this one, but until JAMF figures out a way to auto-notify folks of nearby JUG meetings (based off something like my JN profile location field request, see below) there is no way of knowing when things get posted unless you're on a thread like this where you're notified.

If that matters to you, consider up voting my request for a JN user profile location field. This would (theoretically) allow a future JN release to notify us of upcoming area JUGs like the stuff we've setup here, without having to find/know about a thread like this one here:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1760

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Yea, as per this post https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10117#respond the meeting on the 9th has been canceled. @Eyoung didn't get much of a response from us I read. Regardless... I've voted for the Feature Req!

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Ah ha. Not sure if it affected others, but I never even saw that post. I only get notifications based on posts/threads I've posted to or subscribed to. @Eyoung let us know back here if you decide to reschedule. I'd be glad try and help spread the word on any JUG you/others host, here and elsewhere.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Good morning. I am here at the Apple Tech update, please let me know the best way to connect with you all today! Twitter @cdenesha

I'll head to Bertucci's afterward but may need to leave at 2

thanks!

chris

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I am here as well! See you either at the JAMF booth (I've got my CJA jacket) or at bertuccui's!

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

P.S. My twitter is @chafnerjr

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Chris - it was very nice meeting you. John, Daniel, I missed you in the crowd.. some other time hopefully!

chris

Not applicable

Hey guys, I (dgreening) was actually not at the Tech Update as I have changed jobs, and am no longer in the edu sector. I'll be at future B-JUG meetings, and will probably be at JNUC as well.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well, we did have good pizza for lunch! That said, I think that the Boston JUG is the way to go. I'll be watching for the next one. Driving to Natick was fun, but I think I'll wait until a confirmed JAMF get together next time. However, @cdenesha it was great to meet you and talk shop!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Just wanted to post a link here to another thread regarding Boston training happening soon, for anyone that is specifically following this thread you're reading right now :)
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10737
Looks like we may be able to make an impromptu meet up happen on one of the evenings during the training week. I'm going to do my best to make it out there. Would be good to see others that have attended this CUG make it to this meet-up as well!

mm2270

Hi Boston area JAMF users,

Any interest in getting a Summer CUG meet up happening, before we go into Fall and JNUC?
The recent thread on the London Mac admins meet reminded me we haven't had a meeting in some time now, so wanted to see if I could spark some interest.

I wish I could host, but I don't have that ability where I am, so I need to rely on others to come up with hosting solutions. I'm willing to help out in others ways if possible though.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I'm always interested but I can't promise a lot. Schools about to start up and I'll be working with a number of companies coming in to film (Seems to be the year for it). Regardless, I'll cross my fingers and hope a date is proposed that I can attend.

Otherwise, I'm making my reservations for JNUC today.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Would love to host another sunset overlook out from 40 floors up in the JHT, but will be transitioning to a new role in the next couple weeks so I would defer to others for hosting. @simbimbo are you still able to offer up Mathworks great space?

mm2270

I was wondering about MathWorks as well when I posted yesterday. @simbimbo - any interest? I know the location wasn't great for some of you coming from way into Boston, but it was fine for me and a few others. Plenty of space and easy parking were a bonus.
If not, perhaps @Eyoung is still interested? I know it didn't pan out too well last time, but maybe we can shoot for it again.

Eyoung
Contributor

I'll keep my name on the list as host for a fall meetup... once School gets rolling again.

Our meeting room is currently the deployment room.. folding tables, duck tape on the floor, many iPads and macs :-)

simbimbo
New Contributor

I would be happy to host..

mm2270

@simbimbo - Sounds good.

@Eyoung - Sounds fun! Why not make it a working session? Half the time a meeting, the other half a room full of JAMF/Casper admins helping you with your deployment? ;) j/k, but would be pretty cool actually.

So, sounds like perhaps we can do one before JNUC, maybe at MathWorks, and then one after JNUC, at Thayer. Sound like the beginnings of a plan?

iPad_Sheriff
New Contributor III

Hello. I'm brand new to the area and newly responsible for our JAMF install. Is there still room at the table for this party?

mm2270

@pcarlsonbancroft - I would have to say yes, since there's no party just yet. :) We've had a handful of meetings since this group was formed, but are looking to get another one going, perhaps before some of us head to JNUC in October.

Whereabouts are you located?

clifhirtle
Contributor II

@pcarlsonbancroft there is always room at the table in JAMFLand. If there is not, we are all engineers, and can re-engineer the room to make room, especially for those new to the community. Looking forward to catching up guys!

iPad_Sheriff
New Contributor III

@clifhirtle @mm2270 Thanks for the welcome. I'm at Bedford Public. Looking forward to meeting you.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I'm in, assuming that there's not some big messy project going on at the time. Afternoons are great!

ctangora
Contributor III

Hopefully I can make it to this one! Is there a link for signing up like last time?

mm2270

Someone will need to start up a new meeting item I think before we can sign up with anything.
Whoever decides to do the hosting will need to do that. Right now it looks like @simbimbo is the first one saying he would like to host, but it will up to him to do it. Or maybe a co-organizer to do it.

To start with it though, might be beneficial to begin putting some dates down in this thread that would work for everyone. I think Clif had done a poll at one point on a selection of possible dates.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

@mm2270 that's correct. I always just used simple Google Forms poll on dates and topics (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1z-D548wjRnk_3_cJX7YlCV5hc_gI-acUjkdB1hmDqNc/viewform) but a simple poll here on times and top 3 topics of interest is likely more than sufficient.

simbimbo
New Contributor

I think we should start with a "dates" discussion. I can host almost any Wednesday or Friday after hours, beginning 8/27 (I'll be on vacation until then). I can also host during business hours, as long as we finish up before 4:30 as I have to drive to Worcester for a class every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Do we have any idea on the number of people considering attending? 50? 100? more? I need that before I can find out about hosting.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Despite popular interest I think the average has been 4-8 folks. Personally, I would be blown away if it hit 20.

mm2270

Lol. Yeah, it's been more like 10-15 max. In fact one meeting I think we were only about 5? Not that I wouldn't love to see more, but anything more than 20 is pretty optimistic. :-)

spraguga
Contributor

I might be able to attend depending where and when it is.

sputnam
New Contributor

Hey guys, I'm interested in attending in Boston. Adding my name to this list so that I get the emails.

jchen1225
New Contributor III

I am interested as well.