Boston-area JAMF User's Group

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

The Iowa group post got me thinking that having a Boston area group would be really great. Myself, I focus in high-security environments but I wouldn't want to limit to any particular user area. Depending on size, we can have sub-groups and areas of interest.

Being Fidelity, we have loads of meeting space and we've hosted things like this in the past (sometimes with the help of Apple) and I could likely kick off something pretty easily.

207 REPLIES 207

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I'm interested as well, although my work is headquartered out of Providence, RI. I could host here in RI if anyone was interested. (beer and pizza included)

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hi all,

So now that JNUC 2014 is officially behind us, I wanted to revive this thread again. It seems we had a little momentum on something happening prior to JNUC, but it petered out. Busy schedules and all, so understood.
Any interest in getting something going before we get into the cold of winter? (not that that should really keep anyone away)
Last time we were on this thread it seemed there were a couple of folks perhaps interested in hosting - sorry for dropping names, but @simbimbo, @thoule, @Eyoung, @clifhirtle, @adamcodega. Any of you interested and able to host a late Fall/Early Winter meeting?

If it matters or helps, I'd like to put a presentation together this time for the group. At JNUC this year, cocoaDialog was brought up in at least 5 or 6 different sessions, so seems there would be some interest for those not that familiar with it on the myriad ways it can be used. I'd be happy to put something together to present on what we're using it for; everything from simple one off dialogs to fully functional standalone mini apps.

Eyoung
Contributor

I'll still gladly host. Any time after 4 on a weekday the room is available from now until the end of the year except thanksgiving week.... my end of the year is the 12/18 (sweet sweet time off). after 1/5 wide open again.

I'm in Braintree, right off rt. 3 and walking distance to the Braintree T.

a presentation on cocoaDialog would be of great interest.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I'm in one way or another! Thanks for bringing this up Mike! You folks sort out the dates and time and I'll move whatever I have to around for it as I'll be driving a ways.

P.S. Mike I also want to hit you up regarding your terminal notifier scripts and I realized that I don't have your email. Mind shooting me a note at mine (chris_hafner@brewsteracademy.org)? That might be worth visiting as well!

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Thank you @mm2270, I can gladly host as well. I have a Downtown Providence venue minutes from I-95 and would be able to serve free pizza, beer, drinks and snacks. Full A/V setup as well.

A cocoaDialog talk would be great, I've played with it a little and I like how relatively easy it is to quickly start implementing in existing or new Bash scripts.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Awesome Adam! I would love to come down (despite my 4 hour drive;-) ) However, there's been a few folks not wanting to drive from Boston to Natick as I remember so something Boston-ish may be best. The again, and I hate to say it. Most of the get togethers ended up getting on the smaller side of things. I'm in even if it's 4 of us meeting in a bar somewhere. We can all geek out around a laptop worse comes to worse.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I also think JAMF Nationers as a whole should consider virtual meetups. MacAdminMonthly.org does a monthly Google Hangout.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

+1 for google hangouts. We can also save the recording for future use!

Llincoln3
New Contributor

If folks would like to meet in the Cambridge area (right off the Red Line Kendall Station) we have space to offer for events and you have access to several pay garages in the area so there is plenty of parking.

simbimbo
New Contributor

I like the Google Hangout idea.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I am in, wherever and whenever!

sputnam
New Contributor

Cambridge/Boston ++
Google Hangouts is great, but the beer selection in my office is lacking. :)

thoule
Valued Contributor II

OK - I think it's time for this to actually happen then. I should be able to host as well (Charlestown, 10 mins from North Station). I've made a quick Google Form to get some feedback. Once we get a location/date specified, we'll do another form where you can 'register'. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fKc72jcNNtWvYrWvPr9Y-LgS4hA1Y2MeuMfW9zTmjv4/viewform?usp=send_form
Thank you!

mm2270

Thanks @thoule! I just submitted my response on the form. Let's make this happen!

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Any way to keep the Google Hangout idea going? I'd throw my hat in to attend or host but not sure if I could make it to Boston.

Also, often I hear it's recommended to reach out to non JAMF groups as well, if there's any way to do that.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Oh I'm all for keeping the google hangout portion. I;ll be there in person but I;d hate to see stuff left on or off the table because someone couldn't make it. I have also submitted my form!

mm2270

Adam, can you clarify what you mean by non JAMF groups? Do you mean other Mac admin groups?
I haven't organized any of the other Boston area JUGs but I don't think that's ever happened before. Maybe some of the other groups have?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I just want to be clear on what it is that we're looking for.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Sorry, to clarify I meant Macadmins who may not work with JAMF Software. The London Apple Admins group just started up and as a Meetup organizer myself (LOPSA RI) I was surprised and jealous they got 60 RSVPs, 45 attendees and 8 speakers all for one night. They were open to speakers for any Macadmin oriented topic. If someone was to do a cocoaDialog talk, there'd be people who'd be interested even if they didn't admin with Casper Suite.

One thought is if you're more of a general Macadmin group it's less spammy to send announcements to MacE, etc for example

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I have to admit that I quite like that idea. Larger groups do tend to become more formal and I'm not sure how the JAMF kick in for food works ;-) They're always good about helping the JUG organizer from what I remember. Not that I think that ought to be a barrier.

thoule
Valued Contributor II

I recommend we figure out the where and when internally (my form and this list). Then once we have a place and date, we can invite others as speakers/attendees as I'm sure we would all be interested in all topics. No reason to restrict this meeting to Casper users only. If someone has connections to a Boston Mac admins group, then we can pass on word at that point.

mm2270

Sounds good to me. I'm cool with bringing in others who have a general Mac interest, even if they aren't currently users of the Casper Suite. I was actually thinking that my proposed talk on cocoaDialog is not even specific to Casper at all, so it would probably interest anyone who wants to be able to build custom dialogs and simple user driven workflows.

But like @thoule, let's get some of the logistics worked out before we do that. Otherwise we'll probably end up with too much input and end up with nothing happening.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Funnily enough, someone on IRC was looking at setting up a TX group.. They are not a Casper user, but directed them to the one here & said:

13:37:08 <macmule> midsandhighs: I'd always advocate one meet up covering as much Apple stuff as possible, really doesn't hurt to get a better awareness of what else is out there.

Which was the point of "London Apple Admins" & the name. Having some awareness of what else is out there, can massively help all.

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Hi All - Looks like this can happen at my office. I'm in Charleston near North Station here downtown so easy access by commuter rail or subways. (1 Constitution Road, Charlestown, MA Building 1).

I've reserved a conference room for 5pm on December 8th and created an RSVP form.
https://docs.google.com/a/technology-consulting.org/forms/d/134IMJD84lBgeP-KerTQxo46FuSMQeeRmQVplaLckN5g/viewform

RSVP via form is required. For those that would like to present, please enter that on the form as well and we'll get some of the volunteers together for demos.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Nice. I'm in, yet hesitant to fill out the presentation info. I'm happy to present on a number of topics... though I tend to leave advanced scripting to others. Do we have a topic that folks are specifically interested in? I'd hate to list 4 things no one cares about or something that two other folks want to present on. I do have some unique imaging workflows and way too much experience in topics from an edu or startup standpoint.

Again, I'm in for the Dec 8th get together. One question though... what's the time?

mm2270

Time looks like 5PM according to his post.

I'm in as well. Thanks for getting this together Todd! I just submitted my RSVP.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Incredibly I think I can actually make this event. I can also bring a bit of fruit company perspective if needed. One thing I would mention though is that if you're planning on going into North Station you plan to arrive well before the 5 PM mad dash.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Wow, where's the facepalm button... Thanks guys!

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Chris, I think it is just above the Any Key. ;)

I've been wanting to attend a meetup but it is tough with my schedule and the drive etc. I may be able to make this one though.. So a couple of questions.

Is there parking? Free? I'm driving in from CT. Can we talk about iPads too? I don't manage macs with Casper.. Yet?? Lol

Thanks,

chris

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Hi- yes there is paid parking. If you arrive after 5pm, it's $10. If you arrive before 5pm, it'll be about $20.

We can certainly talk iPads as well. Do you have specific questions you'd like to cover? Perhaps someone would be willing to present on them. If not, we can at least give you an overview.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I'd volunteer to be a UG admin, I'm just not sure how many Boston events I can make.

mm2270

Yeah, let's get this meeting up on the User Group section here so more eyes may see it! If its been done already by the time I posted this, then good job! :)

mm2270

Actually, I have a question about the venue. @thoule, will there be any type of internet access available to us, or at least to presenters? I signed up to present possibly, and although I will try to make sure anything I present as contained as possible, it would be useful to have some internet access for a few things. I understand that may not be possible due to security restrictions, and if so, that's fine. Just thought I'd ask.

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Hi - Yes, Internet will be available without registration as we have a 'guest' network for direct Internet. I just created the UG event on JamfNation so people can register there or at the link I provided previously. Registration is just so I've got a ballpark of how many people to expect. I just got word that a JAMF engineer may be able to join us as well!

mm2270

Great, thanks for the update, and for adding the meeting to the UG list. Also, cool on the JAMF engineer that mat attend!

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@simbimbo was registered UG before. Still around my friend? @thoule Have you talked with Steve Imbimbo or any JAMF rep. They usually throw in some $ for snacks/pizza/beer... alright I made that last one up. @adamcodega Awesome! I'm glad to see things falling back into place and bringing more into the CUG!

simbimbo
New Contributor

I am in fact still around. I've been super busy (I guess that's a good thing). Let me know if I can help in any way.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

So I know we have a bunch of Boston people here, what if we made ourselves a New England UG? @Chris_Hafner can represent NH and I can represent RI/CT.

clifhirtle
Contributor II

There are a couple folks in JAMF that handle user group logistics and food. I do not have a record of the event we ran last time, but once the event is registered off the official user group section you should get a call.

mm2270

@adamcodega - I like that idea. The New England JAMF Users Group. It makes sense since the venue doesn't always have to be (nor should it always be) in Boston. I'm not in Boston. I work and live in the MetroWest area myself.