Cannot get EDU profile to download to Mac OS

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

I am currently running JAMF 10.8.0-t1539715549 and I cannot for the life of me, get any EDU profiles to download to our Macs for teacher use of Apple Classroom.

We have been using Apple Classroom with iPads since it was launched and we really want the teachers to be able to use the Mac version. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Note, we are manually adding the classes to JAMF and are not using Apple School Manager for the classes. I don't think that should have any effect considering the iPad app works just fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

You did not mention what macOS the Macs are running - Apple Classroom requires Mojave. Also, the Macs need to be able to receive MDM commands so the user has to be an MDM Capable User..

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

You did not mention what macOS the Macs are running - Apple Classroom requires Mojave. Also, the Macs need to be able to receive MDM commands so the user has to be an MDM Capable User..

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

Thank you I did not realize that the teacher account needed to be listed as the MDM capable user, I thought the user assignment would be enough as it is on the iPads.

I have only just started using Jamf for Mac OS and this may solve a lot of problems I have been having.

jackary
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue, but still cannot get what to do :

• I have a user for the Classroom mac app that is the teacher, his name is gonna be "teacher".
  • The teacher of my school use their own account to log into their session : let's say "prof".

What am I suppose to do ? create a user "prof" for the Classroom app. Or create a session "teacher".

Also, I need to add the account to MDM Capable User which I don't get it. All the local users (5) on the mac are ruled by the MDM that send them command for everything. Still, I've read that there is only one capable user per computer (I have five no?). Are they talking about the Management Account ? Anyway, in my MDM Capable User list I see none of them. How to add them ? With the command :

sudo jamf mdm -userLevelMdm

?

Thank you for your help to my thousand questions.

nigelmarrion
Contributor

I have the same problem. Some Macs have the EDU profile. Others do not. No difference in how they are set up. I have an open support case on this but no solution as yet.

ryan_dean
New Contributor II

You have to have a class where the teacher username is the same as the device assigned username. You have to then create a profile on the Mac (running Mojave) with the exact same username. Login then you will run the command

sudo jamf mdm -userLevelMdm

This will set the MDM Capable User to the username of the profile on the Mac, this has to match exactly with the username assigned to the device and the teacher username in the Class. Then on the next update inventory, it should download the EDU profile.

Eggsabyte
New Contributor II

Does anyone know if this works for JAMFSchool as well?   I'm having the same issues and I can't get the local users on the Macs to download the EDU profile.  I assigned the users to the Macs, I have scripting enabled.  This works perfectly on the iPads.  But not on the Macs.  Thank you for any advice.

mramola
New Contributor III

So I know that you posted this question a couple of years ago but wondering if you ever got an answer.  I have used Jamf School for the last 2 years to manage iPads for our district and this year we added our macs.  We used on device enrollment for the macs and those devices are not receiving the Edu Profile.  If a computer was wiped and enrolled from start up into Jamf it gets the Edu profile and works with Classroom just fine.  

Any insight you have would be appreciated.  

I didn't figure it out, we're setting classes manually... not the best option.

brobbins
New Contributor II

So I set up classes with the individual teacher in the "teachers" group, then added a smartgroup of users in the teachers group, named "it users". That smart user group is our IT department. Their machines are using mdm capable users, but those machines (not being 10.14) are throwing errors over and over in the jamf.log. Interestingly the individual teacher's machines are not throwing error warnings in the log and they are all still 10.11.
Any thoughts?

nigelmarrion
Contributor

The solution to our problem was simply to erase the Mac, delete the enrollment in JAMF Pro and then re-enroll the Mac. In JAMF Pro there is a field in the inventory tab, "User Approved MDM:Yes", that was set differently to "User Approved MDM:No". Unless it was User Approved MDM:Yes, no EDU profile installed. There is no way in JAMF Pro to toggle this field hence the delete and re-enroll.

mramola
New Contributor III
Unfortunately, erasing 200 computers and setting them back up is not an
option for us. We enrolled device via on-device enrollment. I did miss
have the User Approved MDM set to No, we have since fixed this. I may try
just removing the Jamf profile and reinstalling it to see if that works.

I really wish Jamf could find a way to push the EDU profile out to my Macs.
Or come up with a workaround. Thanks

Megan Ramola
Technology Assistant
Becker School District
763-261-4501 ext 3153