Cannot Register Macs with Entra Using Standard Account

kiltedtenor
New Contributor II

I've run into an issue with using Company Portal to register Macs in Entra for compliance purposes. It SEEMS to be a permissions issue. My admin account can register them, but my Joe Schmoe user account with no privileges can't. What I can't wring out of Microsoft or Jamf is what type of permissions my normal account might need to perform this action. We use Intune, not Jamf, for our mobile device management and we have Windows machines there as well. I can register or enroll all of those devices just fine, in testing. And my Admin account works just fine. Shows the device, compliance syncs over. All the fun bells and whistles. But with my regular account, I get this incredibly generic error when trying to even sign into Company Portal from the Self Service registration workflow... 

kiltedtenor_0-1726765748865.png

Anyone have any ideas what permissions/privileges our standard accounts might need to register Macs in Entra for compliance?

3 REPLIES 3

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

How many devices do you have registered to your regular account, and are other users getting this same issue or just you? I can get this from time to time if I have been lax about clearing out test device records and I reach the enrollment quota on my primary account. 

Good thought and thanks for chiming in so quickly, but I did clear out devices, worried about this exact issue first. Our org also has set a manual limit to, like, 100 devices or something, so, SO FAR it's not a device limit issue. But that's absolutely a good place to start, thank you!

Also, to answer the rest of your question, yes. It's universal across the folks I have testing in IT at least. Our standard account is unable to get past that error and our Admin accounts work perfectly.