Casper Admin 8.73 Freezing when trying to replicate

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Hey all,
So I've found that after upgrading my work computer to Mavericks, each time I try to replicate the distribution point to our second one, Casper Admin 8.73 freezes. If I use the app on a Mountain Lion machine it still works normally.
Anyone else seeing this?

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
14 REPLIES 14

scottb
Honored Contributor

FWIW, we just upgraded from 8.64 to 8.73 this past weekend. I was able to sync all of my (10) DP's without issue from both an 10.8.5 Mac and 10.9.x Mac.
I just logged in and did it again to be sure.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Hmm weird. It seems to only cause the spinning fun wheel on 10.9 using Casper admin for us so far. If I use 10.8 to do the replication then it's fine. I guess I'll call JAMF for support to see if they can track down the issue.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

scottb
Honored Contributor

Did you give it enough time to replicate and end normally? I know that sometimes I think CA is frozen too and it's good if I leave it alone a while.
It's the one app I always get anxious with as syncing the DP's is global and slow and of course very important. I have to fight my OCD to not panic ;)

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Yea. Actually my colleague left it pinwheeling for over an hour without realizing it. It's an issue with mavericks and I think the way it mounts the 2nd share before replicating.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

scottb
Honored Contributor

Question: is the share SMB or AFP? We run Windows and SMB, so maybe that's a clue?
Also, dumb question, but hey, we all do these things - are you using the 8.73 versions of the Casper Apps?

hkim
Contributor II

Bigger question, why are you using Casper Admin for replication? IMHO you are better off looking outside of Casper to do the replication. A simple rsync script set to run on a schedule / able to be called manually should do the trick.

scottb
Honored Contributor

While there are other and possibly (whatever one thinks) better ways, simple fact is that the tools should work.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I guess my answer is to hkim that when you spend money equivalent to hiring an extra tech position each year on support and software to manage macs, one would assume to use those tools and that they work correctly.
That being said. Its set up as an AFP. Nothing literally has changed except the operating system of the machine running Casper Admin to 10.9. If I switch to another machine running 10.8 and load Casper Admin, then it replicates fine without freezing.
Gabe Shackney

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

nkalister
Valued Contributor

I've had he same problems with mavericks and casper admin. My current workaround is forcing the machine to use SMB1 instead of SMB2 . . . . problems don't occur then. I put an nsmb.conf file in my ~/Library/Preferences directory containing this:

[default]
smb_neg=smb1_only

scottb
Honored Contributor

@nkalister,

That makes sense for use with SMB and Mav's, but he's using AFP.
Guess maybe there's something wrong with both, but not for all of us.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

Yep, it would seem to only relate to smb, right? except I'm on AFP, too! lol oh, mavericks. y u no network right?? between the pinwheeling on 10.8.5 and the network client issues with mavericks, apple's not my favorite developer right now.

oopsydaisy
New Contributor III

I'm seeing same behavior in Mavericks running 8.73. Eventually it does replicate, but I've sometimes had to leave it running for 2 days!!! BTW, AFP here as well

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

you able to look in the logs for what's happening? I've seen similar behavior but it was because it was deleting files from a site with a slow connection. I was able to confirm by signing on to that server and watching the file size decease... deleting the file(s) manually seemed to speed it up.

oopsydaisy
New Contributor III

I can confirm that the distribution point is on a slower connection than the main server, but the connection was slow when I was running 10.8 as well. The only change is that now I'm running 10.9, and now it freezes. I know the answer may come down to upgrading to 9.22 or whatever, but in the meantime...