Casper Admin OS version check

winningham_2
Contributor

What file/binary controls what OS version Casper Admin sees?

I ask because of a beta program I am apart of that Casper Admin sees as something less than what it is. Casper Admin prompts to say I need an OS that is 10.4 or later, and I exceed that criteria.

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I could be wrong, but I doubt its anything you can edit. Its probably in the code of the application which ships compiled, so its likely not something you can rip out.

My advice would be to only run a beta OS on a system that isn't the one you plan on using Casper Admin or other Casper Suite applications with. We're also playing with beta OSes here and only do that with test Macs, not our production ones.

JAMF will eventually ship updated local apps that will work with new OS versions.

winningham_2
Contributor

Thanks @mm2270.
I was hoping to use Casper Admin for capturing printers for this version of OS. I suppose the web interface will work good as anything.

The tough part about all this is, I work for a university that has users, probably not too different than many other companies, that will absolutely show up on day-one with a piece of hardware that we will have to Recon enter into JSS but yet, have little or no testing on how that piece of hardware/OS will work with a given configuration. I certainly appreciate how JAMF is usually a day-one solution provider, unlike LANdesk or SCCM, but we still must test-test-test against users who want to go-go-go. Age old dilemma of any technology I suppose. Thanks for the opinion.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah I hear you. I'd also suggest contacting JAMF and seeing if you can be part of any beta program they may have for an upcoming new version of Casper that may work with the new OS. Its a long shot as I don't really know if they even do that, but if you make your case they may be able to help you out with something. Worth a try anyway.

colonelpanic
Contributor

I always get around this by temporarily editing the system version inside of /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist.

After editing that value to 10.9, Casper Admin will open, and then I reset the value back to whatever it originally was.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@mm2270 there are beta programs you can sign up to.