Casper Remote (9.100.x) and Accessing Macs on a different network

devlinford
New Contributor III

Hi guys...

Could be a silly question....

Can Casper Remote access a system on a different network, similar to the way that TeamViewer does?

I have no issue remotely connecting a system on my network...However, when I take the same system plop it on an outside network (via wifi), waiting for it to check-in to update the JSS, I see the JSS record gets two unique IPs:

IP address = Outside Public IP (70.49.x.x)
Reported IP = Local internal IP (192.168.x.x)

Then when I attempt to connect (after reloading Casper Remote data) It tries to connect on the Local internal IP, then reports back that SSH must be turned off. It is not....

Am I out to lunch....Does Casper Remote have no way to achieve this?

I have read that some others are finding that Casper Remote will start with one IP, then fail (timeout) and revert to the other IP. To achieve this, wouldn't it need both IP's? Originally connect to the public IP, then tell the router that it wants to route to the internal IP?

Thanks in advance...

Dev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mking529
Contributor

It's possible, but not really feasible with the way Casper Remote works at present. You could make it work if the foreign network had the ssh port forwarded to that specific Mac. When Casper Remote connects it establishes an ssh session to the machine and uses that tunnel to command the computer to run policies or connect Screen Sharing. It's a direct connection whereas TeamViewer utilizes web services to act as a man in the middle on the remote connection, eliminating the need for port forwarding and whatnot.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mking529
Contributor

It's possible, but not really feasible with the way Casper Remote works at present. You could make it work if the foreign network had the ssh port forwarded to that specific Mac. When Casper Remote connects it establishes an ssh session to the machine and uses that tunnel to command the computer to run policies or connect Screen Sharing. It's a direct connection whereas TeamViewer utilizes web services to act as a man in the middle on the remote connection, eliminating the need for port forwarding and whatnot.

devlinford
New Contributor III

@mking529 ,

Thanks!

It would be great if the JSS could do the same 'man in the middle' tunnel to allow it (IE: The remote system is connected the JSS, Casper Remote is connected to the JSS....Walla). We manage a whack of systems (laptops) that aren't always on one of our networks. Having to use TeamViewer is painful and it also feels a lot less professional...

I'm gonna drop it into a Feature Request to see if it gains any traction with other users...

Thanks for getting back...

Dev

jrserapio
Contributor

@devlinford Are you using OnPrem JSS or a cloud hosted one?

devlinford
New Contributor III

Hey @jrserapio ,

Sorry for my slow reply, for some reason I'm not getting notified of these posts.

We are using OnPrem.

Thanks,