Change Jamf Pro Webapp display name?

atomason
New Contributor III

Is there a way to set the display name for the Jamf Pro Webapp? Right now it shows the IP address of our secondary server and localhost for the primary. Ideally I would like to change these to the FQDN of the servers.

Snuffleupagus_1-1645052581786.png

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

atomason
New Contributor III

Sorry for the late response to this.

After talking this over with support, it seems that this information is indeed pulled from the database.

Specifically, it looks at the connected user and pulls the hostname from whatever is after the "@" symbol to determine what hosts are connected.

Where it gets weird is how MySQL interprets the connection attempt; if you connect to the database by specifying the IP address of the database server, MySQL will show the user as username@ip_address, and under the "Clustering" settings your host will be displayed as it’s IP address. However, if you specify the FQDN of the database server, it will show the user as username@hostname.

So, to accomplish this you need to specify the database server by FQDN in the Jamf Pro configuration (jamf-pro server config set –database-host). Note that if you see localhost, that means you are connecting to the database server using a Unix Socket (which has performance benefits). 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I have never used clustering so this may not apply. On the servers, do you have the FQDN setup in the Jamf Pro URL setting found in Global Management? 

I have a FQDN setup for the Jamf Pro URL. I also changed the /etc/hosts file on the server (RHEL8) to see if that made a difference, but even after restarting Tomcat and rebooting the server it made no difference.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I was just now looking at the clustering setting on one of my Jamf Pro servers. I ticked the option to use clustering and the localhost address was already populated and it was not editable. I don't think I would be bothered by this. Have you reached out to Jamf Support? They may know a way of making this appear the way you want it.

Great information

Thanks for looking at that! I'm kind of an organization freak so it bothers me to no end. In the event that I have to hand this environment off to someone else, I just want to make sure everything is clean and easy to understand from an organizational stand point.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I understand that! I'm a control freak. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be good at my job. If you can't change this, some great documentation will help others understand. They just need to actually READ it. That's my dilemma.

atomason
New Contributor III

I have a case open with them to see what can be done. I'm wondering if this value is stored in the database somewhere. If I get a change today or next week I will sift through the database and see what info is in there.

atomason
New Contributor III

Sorry for the late response to this.

After talking this over with support, it seems that this information is indeed pulled from the database.

Specifically, it looks at the connected user and pulls the hostname from whatever is after the "@" symbol to determine what hosts are connected.

Where it gets weird is how MySQL interprets the connection attempt; if you connect to the database by specifying the IP address of the database server, MySQL will show the user as username@ip_address, and under the "Clustering" settings your host will be displayed as it’s IP address. However, if you specify the FQDN of the database server, it will show the user as username@hostname.

So, to accomplish this you need to specify the database server by FQDN in the Jamf Pro configuration (jamf-pro server config set –database-host). Note that if you see localhost, that means you are connecting to the database server using a Unix Socket (which has performance benefits).