Change the language in JSS

fritz_schlapbac
Contributor

Is there a possibility to change the language of JSS without changing the language of the Mac client? Since 9.x the JSS is automatically showing a german translation if the client is configured in german.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate that JAMF is offering a german translation now. But many of the translation is very strange and sometimes disturbing (or funny, depending on how you look at it.). ;)

For example the tab 'History' in a clients inventory is named 'Anamnese'. 'Anamnese' is the 'medical history' of a patient, and not of a computer.

The tab 'Management' in the same location is named 'Geschäftsleitung'. Which means 'company management', and not management of a computer.

But the best one I found so far is in the PKI settings (External CA). There you can read the following sentence:
'Durch das Öffnen der Klappe kann sich der Schlauch geringfügig verschieben, so dass die Blasen aus dem Bereich des Luftblasensensors heraustreten.'

I try to translate the meaning of this: If you open the clap, the hose could be shifted a little bit and there can leak out some bubbles from the 'air-bubble-sensor'.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

John_Sutcliffe
New Contributor III

Wanted to let everyone know we will be doing work in an upcoming release to greatly improve the quality of the localizations started with the 9.0 release. That did not come out at the level of quality we want - by any measure.

And those "Bubble Sensors". Ouch.

As for choosing English instead of the default choice that Safari uses based on your OS X setting, you'll need to use Firefox. The same appears that it will work for Chrome, but I have not tested it.

In Firefox, you can go to Preferences --> Choose the Content Tab --> Languages: Choose your preferred Language --> Select "Choose" --> and add English (EN) to the list and put it to top priority.

Firefox will then ignore your OS X choice of German and attempt to display web sites in English first.

Thank you for your patience with us on this one. We will do better!

View solution in original post

John_Sutcliffe
New Contributor III

Here is another technique that people can use that will serve you better if you have multiple admins.

You will need to have write rights on the install location of your JSS to do this.

Within the location of your JSS install you need to go here:

...ROOT/WEB-INF/xml/localizations folder.

This is where the localization files are located.

(Before you do this, back up the localizations folder so you can put it back if necessary.)

Rename the de.xml file to de.xml.SKIP (you could delete it completely but I prefer the rename route as renaming the file will make it easier to put it back if you choose to.)

Restart your server and the German translations will no longer appear.

You may do this with the other languages also. But DO NOT change the en.xml file.

Note that the next time you install the JSS the files will be put back.

(Related Thread: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9157)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ctangora
Contributor III

First off, don't open the clap unless you really need to.

tuinte
Contributor III

^ Have an upvote.

Andrina
Contributor
Contributor

Personally my JSS is jealous and wants more air bubbles... https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1619

danmadden
Release Candidate Programs Tester

John_Sutcliffe
New Contributor III

Wanted to let everyone know we will be doing work in an upcoming release to greatly improve the quality of the localizations started with the 9.0 release. That did not come out at the level of quality we want - by any measure.

And those "Bubble Sensors". Ouch.

As for choosing English instead of the default choice that Safari uses based on your OS X setting, you'll need to use Firefox. The same appears that it will work for Chrome, but I have not tested it.

In Firefox, you can go to Preferences --> Choose the Content Tab --> Languages: Choose your preferred Language --> Select "Choose" --> and add English (EN) to the list and put it to top priority.

Firefox will then ignore your OS X choice of German and attempt to display web sites in English first.

Thank you for your patience with us on this one. We will do better!

John_Sutcliffe
New Contributor III

Here is another technique that people can use that will serve you better if you have multiple admins.

You will need to have write rights on the install location of your JSS to do this.

Within the location of your JSS install you need to go here:

...ROOT/WEB-INF/xml/localizations folder.

This is where the localization files are located.

(Before you do this, back up the localizations folder so you can put it back if necessary.)

Rename the de.xml file to de.xml.SKIP (you could delete it completely but I prefer the rename route as renaming the file will make it easier to put it back if you choose to.)

Restart your server and the German translations will no longer appear.

You may do this with the other languages also. But DO NOT change the en.xml file.

Note that the next time you install the JSS the files will be put back.

(Related Thread: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9157)

lisa_yohnk
New Contributor

A Knowledge Base article on how to change the default language in your web browser and/or disable localizations is now available at:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=352