Changing Jamf Pro server IP

MichaelBlower
New Contributor II

We will be moving our Jamf Pro server to a new physical location, and in the process, changing the IP address. DNS name will remain the same. The MySQL database is also running locally on the Jamf Pro server. Anything we need to take in to consideration with this move, to ensure a smooth transition? We also have another server that is a separate distribution point, which we may be moving, I'm not sure yet. Anything need to be done for this server to continue to work properly, whether it moves or not? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@MichaelBlower As long as the DNS change replicates smoothly, and your Jamf Pro user for MySQL was set to localhost instead of the old IP address, there shouldn't be an issue. One recommendation, if it's possible to combine with your move, is to move your MySQL instance to a separate server. Having it running on the same server as the JSS isn't best practice.

MichaelBlower
New Contributor II

Sounds easy enough. What's an easy way to check the Jamf configuration to make sure it is pointed at either 127.0.0.1 or localhost for the DB? And yes, I agree, we should move that off to another server, we'll have to do that later.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

You could look at the history in MySQL and see how the accounts were created

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Hi @MichaelBlower - as part of upgrading to a newer version of Java the System Administrator also replaced the whole server. We just pointed the DNS at the new server when we were ready. For us that was a bit easier as the Tomcat part of Jamf Pro is on one server and the Database on another. If you have a split system, make sure you disable the old tomcat server so it's not hitting the database after the change. The biggest issue was moving the certificate over for the web server but this time I left that to the System Administrator. Our machines are VM's so we can take full system snapshots. I back the database up and get them to take snapshots so we can always revert if there is a problem. I was concerned about TTL (Time to Live) for the DNS but ours is very low. You could check what yours is and get it reduced if control of that is possible in your organisation a few days ahead.