Computers running daily inventory update but not checking in?

markopolo
Contributor

Can anybody explain why this is happening? I am noticing this on a lot of our computers. They either stop checking in -- or check in very sporadically -- but supposedly they have no problems submitting daily inventories?

Greenshot 2022-04-14 13.51.04.png

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@markopolo Does restarting a Mac doing this result in it checking in? In theory you could have a policy that's running but never completing which would prevent a Mac from checking in, and something else is doing a `jamf recon` which is providing the daily inventories.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Any chance a new extension attribute was deployed recently that might be stalling a recon? Maybe one that uses the softwareupdate command? The inventory updates could actually be from other managed deployments (like things deployed with the InstallEnterpriseApplication command or a managed App Store App update).

markopolo
Contributor

Thanks for the replies. Support is telling me it's due to PI109755 - "When a computer software update hangs and Collect available software updates is selected in the Computer Inventory Collection settings, the computer also hangs." I'm a little fuzzy on the fix though. I think I have to temporarily disable "software update collection" until all the affected machines get restarted?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@markopolo If that PI is your problem then you'll need to leave "Collect available software updates" disabled until Jamf implements a workaround or Apple fixes the bug in softwareupdate as well as restart all of the impacted machines.

That said, I don't understand how that PI, which sounds like it results in a recon never completing, would be your problem since you are seeing daily recons working, but the periodic checkins are not.