Configuration Profiles Braking System Preferences and other fun stuff - Casper 9.2

Paolo
New Contributor

Hello,
we are running Casper 9.2. We are reluctant on upgrading to 9.3 yet, since the recent posts about it.

Anyway, we are pushing configuration profiles out to our client machines, with single payloads in it.
The wi-fi settings payload works fine.
Certificates payload as well.
Now, Security and Privacy get deployed to certain computers but fail to be installed on others with some "authentication error" message.
The Login configuration profile with a simple message at login, breaks differents things in our clients. Users can't change name of their computer anymore (Sys Pref-->Sharing-->computer name is greyd out), the Restart and Shutdown options in the Apple menu are gone, and the "required password immediately after sleep or screen saver..." option in security is greyd out and can't be ticked.

Is this a common issue?!
I may have to keep using the MCX to push a simple message at login screen if this is the case.

Thanks !

9 REPLIES 9

Kprice
New Contributor III

Having similar issues since before 9.2 and 9.3 did not fix it for me. As @paplo says "The Restart and Shutdown options in the Apple menu are gone, and the "required password immediately after sleep or screen saver..." option in security is greyd out and can't be ticked."

I'm also missing the shutdown button at the login screen. Some I don't want it there and some I do. I have just tried to work around it for now.

Paolo
New Contributor

The shutdown button works for me K !
it's in the Login payload in the first tab.
It's good to have it there...i guess

jake
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi @Paolo -

There were a few defects related to Configuration Profiles on OS X that were addressed in Casper Suite 9.21. Here are the release notes: http://resources.jamfsoftware.com/archive/Casper_Suite_9.21_Release_Notes.pdf Are you still running Casper Suite 9.2, or have you upgraded?

@Kprice -

Let us know if you are seeing issues related to Configuration Profiles in 9.3. We have not had any other reports of this, but if you can open a support case and provide us some details, that would be helpful. We will be sure to get it addressed once we have more information.

Thanks!

Kprice
New Contributor III

Ok so it looks like we might be in business after all with 9.3. I did have to Re-Enroll some of the machines in question, but then they seemed to fall into line. If I see any complications, I'll report back.

Paolo
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer Jake!

We are looking forward to upgrade to 9.3.
I'll let you know as soon as we do.

Thanks again.

Will_M
New Contributor II

@Paolo, @Kprice

I had the same issue with 9.22. What I did was remove the machines from the scope of the configuration profile, restart the machine. Add them back to the scope of the profile and restart the machine again. After adding them back to the scope the Apple menu shutdown options were back, the computer name and the screensaver option were no longer greyed out.

mallen13
New Contributor III

We've been having similar issues on 9.22. Even on freshly imaged machines, sometimes we get all of our profiles without issue, and other times we will only get the MDM profile, and no others. We are doing quite a lot of customizing to our profiles, but the issue seems to be with the initial provisioning.

Anyone else had issues with profile delivery // long-term reliability issues ? ( or perhaps you can point me to a more relevant thread? )

Thanks

Paolo
New Contributor

Orright,
I had to MARK the answer of our fellow Jake, because, after upgrading to 9.3, I resolved most of my issues with conf profiles but I still have some of the issue that i mentioned eariler.

In details, now pushing configuration profile with Login payload only gets this error:
- Can't cange computer name (greyd out)

all the rest seems to work now.
I can now in fact restart my computer or even tick the "prompt immediately with password after closing the lid" thing....

I feel we are not far from succeding.
So the answer is:
UPGRADE TO CASPER 9.3

regards.

Paolo
New Contributor

Nevermind,
I don't have the Restart and Shutdown buttons anymore.
And Apparently It breaks also the Name and Password fields at login.
I don't get to have those anymore. Just a bunch of users with icons at login.

Broken.